Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 08-10-2020, 02:03 AM

Default Re: How to compensate for analog summing mixer hardware latency?

I have the same problem and there is still no solution.

The thing is I want to mix into my masterbus. I think thats a typical way of mixing nowadays. so, if I send my subgroups (dr, vocals, ...) to the analog summing mixer and the summing master out back to the DAW I have some delay witch can not be compensated. And it is improtand to compensate it, because I use automation on the mixbus (after the summing in the DAW) and so it is important that the summing return isin sync with my session.

The only way to compensated (nearly sample sync) is with I/O inserts. but in a summing szenario you should have a 8 or 16 I/O insert to tell the ProTools whats going on. And there is no option for Inserting multi channels of 8 or 16.

the video with Fab is showing how to setup the 2 bus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gW18nrUJOI
but his print track is delayed and he is not talking about that problem.

I dont understand why there is no solution in ProTols to compensate summing I/O

monitoring the analog out of the 2 bus makes no sense in a mordern mixing szenario.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post

monitoring the analog out of the 2 bus makes no sense in a mordern mixing szenario.
The solution to this is to monitor the incoming stereo feed FROM the analog summing. Things to consider:
1-Does the analog summing really make things sound better? Serious question(and no offense is intended), but some folks, insist things sound better when the reality is that maybe they don't, or maybe you might be able to achieve the exact same sonics while staying in the box(several big names in the mixing world are now completely ITB).
2-I know a few folks that mix on analog consoles, or in a hybrid setup(much as you now do) and they monitor the mix off their summing(be it console or summing box) where it comes back into PT and none of them worry about compensation as it doesn't affect what they hear(the returning mix is later than the source tracks, but they are only monitoring the returning mix).
3-If you are not routing ALL audio thru the same analog summing, I see the issue there, and my best advice would be to alter the workflow or setup so that all audio does take the same path(like we had to do back before Delay Compensation when mixing through lots of AUX sub-groups with bus processing).

Just food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-23-2020, 01:37 AM

finaly I found a working solution to insert an analog summing box with working ADC. I posted it here:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411587

I never found something like this before and I am very happy. It makes it easy to work with analog summing boxes in ProTools.