Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 07-02-2020, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Latency Problem all of the sudden

Is there a way to determine which drive is screwed up? Or if it's a drive issue?

I just deleted the new plug in I had installed a few days ago (EZ Drummer) and restarted. The problem continues. It even seems to be getting worse. I basically can't track unless I set the buffer to 512, which obviously is no good. Still, when I switch to monitoring directly through the interface, all is fine.
16gb 1.7 ghz 320 GB Internal HDD
Samsung 840 EVO Audio SSD 250 GB
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Amplitube 3
Reason 5
MAudio Keystation 61es
Old 07-02-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotboy View Post
Thanks. I was going at 256 because lower settings wouldn’t work at all. What annoys me is that I never had a problem before. I don’t understand what could’ve changed to cause this issue.
So if you want to do software monitoring you need to get your system set up so it does work at a buffer size with acceptable latency.

People here are not going to give you micro-detailed directions but we will help you if you get stuck.

You should always know what the IO buffer induced latency is for your setup. before you were not noticing it so maybe you were using hardware monitoring without realizing it. Laws of physics are what they are, latency is there.

You need to learn how to properly set up a Pro Tools Windows system (start at
'help us help you' and look at the optimization steps for your Windows and Pro Tools versions.

How do you know if you have an ASIO driver. You would start by googling why ASIO even means and do some reading. You would look on the website of the interface manufacture for their drivers and see if if they support ASIO. You would look at the name of the interface driver selected as Playback Engine. And would sure make sure you are not using ASIO4ALL.

In this case I know that Focusrite 2i2 has a windows ASIO driver. What is shows up as in the Playback engine I have no idea. But you want to be using the ASIO device, not WDM, not anything else.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to determine which drive is screwed up? Or if it's a drive issue?

I just deleted the new plug in I had installed a few days ago (EZ Drummer) and restarted. The problem continues. It even seems to be getting worse. I basically can't track unless I set the buffer to 512, which obviously is no good. Still, when I switch to monitoring directly through the interface, all is fine.
OK plugin test is helpful but to be clear what do you mean by 'delete'. You you normally want to do is move the suspect plugin file outside the plugin folder. And then trash prefs and restart pro tools... but with pro Tools 10 there are two plugin folders, one for RTAS and one for AAX. Did you get any new plugins removed from both folders? And then trash prefs (use the PT Trasher utility: https://www.pro-tools-pc.com/support/trasher). If you ran a vendor plugin uninstaller it should do all that is needed as well.

Any other weirdness you can temporarily move out all third party plugins and try again.

You should also verify problems happen when you start with a new empty session.

Your drives are likely not screwed up. If you had a faulty hard drive you would be getting hard drive errors or operating systems crashes etc. or losing files on disk and Pro Tools will be screaming about problems. You can check the Windows event log for errors and warnings.

You need to slow down, and get organized to make progress.

From all your posts it seems you likely don't have your system well set up and you are not on top of basic stuff. So you need to go do some reading, run though proper systems optimization steps, work out what interface driver you have etc. And then if you need to ask specific questions, you can describe all the thing you have done and provide a SiSoft Sandra report.

If things are so screwed up and you are lost. Then maybe get a new SSD drive, install a clean version of Windows on it and start over doing a really clean careful install of Pro Tools, ILM and your interface driver, and bare minimum systems device drivers on it and test if that works. Hopefully with a Windows download from Microsoft, not an OEM recovery/installation full of crapware.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-02-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:06 PM

I admit that I don’t know much about this stuff. But when I set up my system years ago, I did it according to all of the recommendations. And for the most part, it has worked well.

Last night I trashed my preferences, using the Thrasher app. I deleted the recent plugin I installed a few days ago. Today, I replaced the audio drive with a brand new Samsung 860 Evo.

I started a new session and the same issue continues. I can’t even monitor before I record without the audio dropping out unless I set buffer to 256. This is with 7 processors and CPU limit set to 95%. Delay comp set to none.
Plus, I received a new error message that I have never seen: “unable to reaquire hardware.”

So frustrating.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Amplitube 3
Reason 5
MAudio Keystation 61es

Last edited by robotboy; 07-03-2020 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-03-2020, 03:13 PM

Get a new SSD drive, install a clean version of Windows on it and start over doing a really clean careful install of Pro Tools, ILM and your interface driver, and bare minimum systems device drivers on it and test if that works. Hopefully with a Windows download from Microsoft, not an OEM recovery/installation full of crapware.

... And you have a new SSD to do that install on... the Audio drive SSD that was probably not a good test to do... but will make a nice drive to do a clean Windows install on.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:20 AM

That seems like the best option, but I worry I will screw it up. The installation process was difficult when I originally did it.

Is there any other way I can try to fix this problem?
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Amplitube 3
Reason 5
MAudio Keystation 61es
Old 07-04-2020, 08:27 AM

I just took a look at some of my old threads and noticed one where I was complaining about clicking and popping noises while recording MIDI. The solution was that I increased the buffer on my Scarlett. So I figured I would give a that a try again.

It seems to have worked! I wonder why, though.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Amplitube 3
Reason 5
MAudio Keystation 61es
Old 07-05-2020, 03:21 AM

You should be able to just change the playback engine IO buffer size in Pro Tools. Was the Pro Tools playback engine dialog GUI saying the buffer size was one thing but it was not? I thought problems were more obvious in the Playback Engine dialog when they happened.

There have been issues in the past with that as you know. I would try to get this sorted out, maybe it's an old bug only seen with old versions of Pro Tools, maybe Focusrite support might be able to help.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:09 AM

I could change the buffer in the PT the playback engine, but I had to make it so high that tracking was impossible. So I selected hardware in the drop down menu and changed the buffer for the Scarlett there. I maxed it out.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Amplitube 3
Reason 5
MAudio Keystation 61es
Old 07-05-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I could change the buffer in the PT the playback engine, but I had to make it so high that tracking was impossible. So I selected hardware in the drop down menu and changed the buffer for the Scarlett there. I maxed it out.
This does not make sense. If you were actually increasing the IO buffer then latency would increase. This may still be incompatibilities with the driver and your version of Pro Tools. Again I would check with Focusrite support.