Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 08-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Question Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI.

I keep getting this error:

"Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check its connections. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings"

I'm using a Mackie Universal Control setup as an HUI. It's worked fine until today. I've even troubleshot this before (power-cycling was the solution), but this time I haven't had any luck.

Here's my system:

Mac Workstation 2x2 dual core intel xeon
OS 10.5.3
Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4.2cs1
6 gb of ram
Mackie UC, M-Audio firewire 410, HP Printer (all present before when it worked)
3 SATA drives onboard

Troubleshooting:

- Attempted to power cycle
- Re-initialized MUC to HUI emulator
- Re-configured settings in PT peripherals menu (just cleared and restored)
- Attempted every combination of restarting computer, rebooting PT and power cycling MUC
- Searched DUC archives and DD support, only to find a few entries:

-Unable to communicate with HUI or Mackie Control.
Make sure transmit and receive channels are activated for the MIDI interface in the Audio MIDI Setup Utility.

-"Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Please power cycle HUI and check its connections." error in Pro Tools upon closing a session.
This can occur if Run MIDI in Background is unchecked in the OMS MIDI Setup program (found under the Setups Menu in Pro Tools).

OMS?! Wow.. high school memories of Vision DSP troubleshooting..

Anyways, I might add that in addition to this not being a problem but a few days ago, AND that I've successfully dealt with this before, the strange thing is that moving faders in PT still controls the MUC, but the MUC won't transmit information to PT and I keep receiving that error message...

whew. sorry for the long post, just wanted to be thorough.

Thanks,
TF
Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingfish_mpowered View Post
I keep getting this error:

"Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check its connections. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings"

I'm using a Mackie Universal Control setup as an HUI. It's worked fine until today. I've even troubleshot this before (power-cycling was the solution), but this time I haven't had any luck.

Here's my system:

Mac Workstation 2x2 dual core intel xeon
OS 10.5.3
Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4.2cs1
6 gb of ram
Mackie UC, M-Audio firewire 410, HP Printer (all present before when it worked)
3 SATA drives onboard

Troubleshooting:

- Attempted to power cycle
- Re-initialized MUC to HUI emulator
- Re-configured settings in PT peripherals menu (just cleared and restored)
- Attempted every combination of restarting computer, rebooting PT and power cycling MUC
- Searched DUC archives and DD support, only to find a few entries:

-Unable to communicate with HUI or Mackie Control.
Make sure transmit and receive channels are activated for the MIDI interface in the Audio MIDI Setup Utility.

-"Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Please power cycle HUI and check its connections." error in Pro Tools upon closing a session.
This can occur if Run MIDI in Background is unchecked in the OMS MIDI Setup program (found under the Setups Menu in Pro Tools).

OMS?! Wow.. high school memories of Vision DSP troubleshooting..

Anyways, I might add that in addition to this not being a problem but a few days ago, AND that I've successfully dealt with this before, the strange thing is that moving faders in PT still controls the MUC, but the MUC won't transmit information to PT and I keep receiving that error message...

whew. sorry for the long post, just wanted to be thorough.

Thanks,
TF
Hi TF, It sounds like a corrupted database or preference. Please try this application...www.jcdeshaies.com. It's free and it will probably take care of the problem after you use it and reboot.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Hey TF! Where you ever able to resolve your problem with the communication errors between the Mackie Control Units and Pro Tools? I am having the same issues with a PT LE 7.4 system connected to an MTPAV USB. I tried the PT helper app suggested here and it didnot fix the problem. I'd be very interested in hearing if your how you made out. I am stuck right now.

Thx,
Old 09-08-2008, 02:32 PM

Scott,

Thanks for the link - that utility did seem to grab the attention of the HUI but it didn't solve my problem, unfortunately. Maybe other people may have more luck.

CrazyHorse, as you can see I had the same result as you with this utility. I'm not sure what else to do, but in the meantime enjoy looking at my new paperweight.

Keep us updated with any progress you have, and I'll do the same!

thanks,
TF
Old 09-08-2008, 02:58 PM

Hey dude, I think I figured it out, especially if it's an old HUI, UPDATE THE FIRM WARE! I hope that's it.
later gator-Scott
I'll pray that this was it. Also, make sure that you have selected the HUI in the peripherals menu. Plug it in, unplug it and then open up PRo Tools and go to peripherals, and have it search using midi or ethernet, whatever it's using to talk to the other.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:36 AM

hi Scott,

I wish that were the solution - this is a brand spankin' new Mackie Universal Control.

I have a suspicion that my USB router is the culprit. CrazyHorse, are you using a USB router in your setup?

Whenever I turn on my MUC, I lose functionality from the other devices hooked up to the router (keyboard, mouse). It is a power-drawing router, and it seems that the MUC is sucking out the juice (even though the router is plugged in to AC power..

Prior to my new setup (I recently moved my Mac Pro into an adjacent room to limit noise in my listening space), my control surface was running off of the USB ports on the back of my Apple Monitor - and worked just fine.

Now I'm using extended USB cables to feed my devices... could this be affecting my control surfaces performance? Like I noted earlier, moving faders in PT will control my MUC, but not vice-versa..

TF
Old 09-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Lightbulb Solved.

It was the USB router. POS.

It is a Kensington Pockethub 7 port router. Garbage, I'm afraid.

I'm running everything essential through the two Apple monitors. Works fine now.

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement router? I have more peripheral devices that have no available ports at the moment..

Thanks for your time and efforts.

TF
Old 09-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Hi Thingfish and Scott,

I have had minor success with the MCUs and Pro Tools. I am running my 3 MCU's off a USB MTPAV. Once I did a hard RESET of the MTPAV and re-mapped my synths & MCU's to the new MTPAV device in AMS. I had to go into Pro Tools and de-select the MCU's in the peripherals/midi controller window & reselect the 3 MCUs.

Now the 3 MCUs are being recognized in Pro Tools and moving unlike in the past but I am still getting the error messages "HUI not communicating ....." so much I really can't rely on it for much of anything Mixing/Tracking etc.

I tried to upgrade the firmware of the 3 MCUs from version 2.1.0 to 2.1.2 but can't for the life of me get any sequencer or utility that will properly send the SYSEX data from the MIDI to the MCU's. Not that this will fix the Pro Tools MCU problem.

OMG when will this end!!!! I really think the MCUs don't really work well with Pro Tools and that you're better off going with something else. I've never had a problem with the Pro Control controllers I have.

BTW: the MCU's work perfectly in Digital Performer 5.13. Go figure !! I'll keep plugging away at it but in the meantime I gotta get some work done with all the gear. I'll keep looking & experiment and update you if I find a fix.

Ciao,
Old 09-12-2008, 02:36 PM

Shoot man! I feel bad that I can't seem to help you. I still think it's either the HUI or the computer's inability to see it. Do you have another Mac that you can test the connectivity on it? Also I just remembered, UPGRADE the firmware on your USB midi device, I had to do that once also. It probable needs it. Back the the computer, if the other computer doesn't get it then either it's the USB firmware, or the console. I bet if you update the firmware you might have success.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 AM

You were right !! Firmware version 2.1.2 for the Mackie Control Surfaces is absolutely necessary for use with PT LE 7.4. After spending a good while with Mackie's Tech Support on getting the right squencer (Media Player on my laptop) to run the midi file Mackie supplies on their website at http://www.mackie.com/products/mcu/mcu_upgrade.html I was able to upgrade the Main MCU to v2.1.2 but there was a problem with the Control extenders not going into "Boot Loader" Mode. So Mackie is sending me 2 replacement units. I have test the upgrade MCU with PT LE 7.4 and it works fine now. So to all those who have this issue here are the steps I took.

1st Put MCU in Boot Loader Mode by:

- Turn off MCU
- Hold down channel 1 & 2 Rec/Ready buttons
- Hold down channel 1 Select button
- Turn on MCU

Get the midi file for the v2.1.2 firmware upgrade from the mackie site above under discontinued products

Next you have to run this file with all MTC/Sync etc turned off. So even though I run PT LE on a G5 I have a PC Laptop with a MOTU Fastlane MIDI interface which was easier to run the update on. Here's what I did:

- Goto Control Panel
- Double click "Sounds & Audio Devices"
- Select the Audio Tab
- Look at the bottom of the tab at MIDI Music playback select your MIDI - Interface/port (This drives Media player's playback)
- Select Apply/OK
- Connect your MIDI interface out to the MCU IN
- Run the Mackie MIDI file with Media Player
- You should see dots scrolling across your MCU's screen.
- Let the MIDI file playback (DO NOT STOP IT)
- Once the file completes the MCU should reboot itself.
- Once it does select the HUI mode and you're off to the races.
- Open PT & Goto Setup/Peripherals//MIDI Controllers & select HUI mode & the port the MCU is connected to.

Wow.....It's finally working...just have to wait for replacement units.

Thanks for you ideas!