Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 PM

Default New Way To Use Pro Tool's Tools - Temp Tools

I'm just starting to get used to this new way so I may tweak it further but I'm kinda digging it so I thought I'd share.

I can't get used to the smart tool so I devised a different plan while using QuicKeys that I'm calling Temp Tools. It was inspired by the single zoom tool. After you zoom, it reverts to the previous tool.

Temp Tools utilizes a little known feature in QK: The ability to set key commands on trigger release. So you can set one keystroke for holding a key down and another when you let it up. So I had the idea to have it temporarily change tools then revert on release. And it surprisingly works perfectly even when combining with other keystrokes.

So this is what I did:

I found a few keys that I never use. These three work well. (,) (.) (/)

I decided that my default position would be the selector tool in slip mode.

So I made the (,) be the Trim tool. Hold it down and you can trim all day. Let go and you're back to the Selector tool.

I made the (.) be Grid mode. Hold it down, you're in Grid mode. Combines well with everything I tried. Let go and you're back in Slip Mode.

Then I made the (/) be the Grabber tool. Again, hold it down and you're in Grabber mode. Let go and you're back in Selector. Combines with anything I've tried. Including holding multiple keys for Grabber and Grid or Trim and Grid.

This also prevents the dreaded selecting the TCE tool or Loop Tool.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:18 PM

Default Re: New Way To Use Pro Tool's Tools - Temp Tools

This is perfect.. Very cool... Thanks Kenny...

Now if there were a way to toggle scroll.. Id be completely set!

Jeff
Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 PM

Great idea Kenny. I might have to adopt this one for myself.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff E View Post

Now if there were a way to toggle scroll.. Id be completely set!

Jeff
How would that work?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Very cool Kenny.

Scroll, meaning Continuous Scroll and such? I use the Mac Keyboard shortcut making utilities to do that (OSX preferences-->keyboard&mouse). My favorites are scroll, no scroll, show/hide region names, video out firewire port (when it's stuck and won't output and you need to toggle it off and on very fast before client realizes )But could not get the Audio Suite plugs to pop up this way. Maybe QK does that?

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 PM

Oh. OK. I thought we were talking about navigating the scroll bars.

I just leave scrolling off and quickly hit (down arrow) & (left arrow) if I want my screen to scroll.

I wish there was a hand scroll like the one in Preview. My Tablet actually has one but it tends to overscroll.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:36 PM

Yeah I have seen that in your videos.. I would just like to be able to tell it to scroll and sometimes not.. and put it on a button..
Old 05-16-2009, 06:28 AM

DP has a nice way of handling this. If you try to do anything in the edit window, scrolling is disabled, and stays disabled as long as you are editing in some way. After it sees no input from you for a few seconds, it resumes. It works in a very natural way, and would be a great addition to PT. Because of the "zero-tolerance" nature of PT scrolling, I end up leaving it off 100% of the time. It's too maddening otherwise.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:18 AM

That’s brilliant, Kenny!

In addition to Tool and Edit Mode selections on your system, you’re triggering all sorts of new QK inspiration at this end. Thank you.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-16-2009, 07:35 AM

thats a cool idea..

the funny thing is I have been wondering if PT would implement this. . .

I switched from logic. . and one of my main complaints was the time it took to constantly switch tools. That "modifier switches tools temporarily" way is set in logic and can be different for each screen set (main tool and modified tool). Only it based around the option keys so you don't have to move your left hand from its main position. . that, to me, makes it even better.

And the logic way of zooming... hold command (I believe, its been a while) click somewhere on the background (not on a region) drag the mouse which turns into a lasso tool. . . let go and... boom zoomed in and back the the original tool...

Hold command and simply click anywhere in the background (not over a region) and zoom out... you can zoom in multiple times and when you zoom out it does the same range you did on the way in.