How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2017, 03:25 PM

Default Quick heads up for Creators Win10 and 3.6.1

My reference rig is a homebrew PC Intel 6 core and I use an Artist Control/Mix setup. After being in software upgrade hell the better part of the day installing PT12.8 native and Eucon 3.6.1, I was having major issues with my Kensington trackball cursor behaving insanely. Clicking on a marker in the Marker window popped up an edit window...you had to hit OK to make it disappear. Marker buttons in lane were unresponsive, Pre/Post buttons wouldn't work, neither did keyboard focus. Also windows and icons on the desktop mostly didn't work. Soooo I decided to RTFM (or these days RTFPDF) and sure enough I found this on page 5 of the what's new:

"Microsoft Windows 10 Creators Update
If your system is running Microsoft Windows 10 Creators Update do not enable the Enable External Workstations in EuControl to avoid problems with mouse clicks."

Yikes I guess this check box is a new default since I was fine with 12.7.1 and Eucon 3.6 on the Win10 Creators for the last week. Or it's always been checked as a default and is just now incompatable with W10 Creators. FWIW I wasn't successful uninstalling 12.8/3.6.1 and trying to roll back to 12.7.1/3.6. Head scratching. Though the warning is in the 3.6.1 readme I think it should be highlighted in red and more towards the top since it effectively makes the combo rig unusable. Ultimately it must be a issue with the Creators update. If anyone knows what it is in the new W10 that causes this I'd love to know what that is.

BTW I'm running a MacPro/PT HD (12.71.1) as a workstation alongside the W10 rig and I'm still able to pass control of the Eucon surfaces as I always have.

I hope this helps other users who were pushed into this with the MS force feeding of the Creators update. I wish it was still a choice...the best you can do is postpone it but I don't know for how long. Hence my heads up!

WD

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television