Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-28-2004, 11:58 PM

Default 002 w/Logic7 Snaps & Pops

Here is my issue, I'm experiencing snaps and pops during playback and recording. It happens with 1 track running or 6. Audio track or Instruments track. I'm not using a lot of plugins, no FW drives... I am new to the world of Logic, so I'm at a lost. I am only assuming it's a Digi issue.

Thanks in advance

G4 1.25 DP, OSX 3.6
3 internal 160g HD
Digi 002, PT 6.7
Logic Express 7
Recycle
Guitar Rig
M-Audio Oxygen8
Event bi-amped Project 6 studio monitors
Various plug-ins
Nothing on the FW bus but the 002
Old 12-29-2004, 02:02 AM

Default Re: 002 w/Logic7 Snaps & Pops

Logic has never liked the Digi drivers much.(blame who you will, I choose to share the love around) I get a lot more out of Cubase than with Logic out of my 001. That said, you should be getting better perormance than this. Make sure that in Logics "Audio Drivers" you have "Core Audio" ticked and Digi selected below that( I know you do otherwise there'd be no crackles) Make sure the i/o Buffer size is not set to 64 as Digi doesn't support this. You do of course also have to select Logic as a supported app in the Digi core Audio set up. You should redo this every time you upgade supported apps, by selecting the upgraded version too.
One thing you didn't mention was how much RAM your machine has. If your much under a gig there will be problems even on simple sessions. But in either case, as this is esentially a horsepower problem I think, you just have to keep increasing the I/O buffer size till it runs smoothly. I often run logic using the Mac's built in audio driver because of the performance issues. This of course means no Audio inputs, but I take it you'd do any recording in protools any way.
I'm only running Digi 001 and Logic 6. So I hope there's nothing too different here that I'm missing.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the help. I will try increasing the buffer as you said. The only drawback is more latency between LE7 and my Oxygen 8. I have over 1Gb of ram. For a brief moment I thought that could be the problem, but I never had an issue running tons of tracks in PT.

Just so you know that ever since CoreAudio 6.5 you are no longer given the ability to select what applications use the driver, its automatic. I hate this because now even your email app uses the driver. It's the same in 6.7. As far as LE7 settings, you know apple, it configures everything for you. I will try adjusting the buffer...

Thanks again
Old 12-29-2004, 11:07 PM

I never could see the benifit of the multi-client driver for myself, so never went there. The latency issue is a real drag I'll admit. I'm still with the Digi001 as the processor power premium that I would have incured moving up to the 002 would have really meant the end of my Dual 800's usefullness. It seems that every time an application, or indeed the OS get's a major update, there's a power premium of anywhere between 5 and 20%. A friend of mine never updates anything that isn't free. Then once every five years or so he does the whole system and software in one great financial blaze of glory. I used to think he was mad compressing all that angst into such a short period ......I think I'm slowly learning something here.
PS, you certainly won't be sorry if you get another gig of Ram though.