Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2015, 12:13 PM

Default 1 frame dropout after record and stranger related issues

We noticed that an audio file that is a 5.1 interleaved stem had a 1 frame dropout. So naturally we reprinted that part and the dropout was gone. We opened up another session that used that stem to fix the dropout in what it printed to. The stem looked and sounded fine. I printed over the spot with the dropout. The recorded files looked and sounded fine. No dropout, visible or audible.

I then looked at a different part of the session for a few minutes and when I came back to the dropout area the recorded files had a 1 frame dropout in the same spot both visible and audible. WTF? I looked at the stem and the dropout was not there. I cut a few seconds from the recorded files around the dropout and made new destructive punch tracks. When the files were built the section I cut out was blank of course. I then looked at the stem again. The 1 frame dropout was there again. WTFFF???!? I then go back to the original session I printed the stem and printmaster and the dropout was there again as well.

Another issue is on some sessions (not all) we are not able to search for file ID. Both search for file ID and search for file name and ID are greyed out when PT is looking for an audio file. It may be related, I don't know since it happens on sessions that don't have the 1 frame dropout problem.

Now this is one iteration of this problem. It has been happening in similar circumstances with different files and sessions for the last few weeks. This is after working on and entire TV series for half a year and several months of this project without incident.

Equipment: early 2009 Mac Pro tower OSX 10.8.5, 2.66 GHz Quad-core Intel Xenon, 32 GB RAM, PT HD 10.3.9 with 2 HDX cards.

BTW, the facility is currently locked at this OSX and PT version.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:00 PM

Default Re: 1 frame dropout after record and stranger related issues

We copied the stem (just the audio file) to 2 separate machines. These have the same configuration as posted above. Made a new session and brought the file in. On both machines when we first bring in the file it plays fine and looks fine. No dropout. Close the session and reopen and the dropout is visible and audible again.

Edit: this is repeatable.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:30 PM

Solution so far. I opened the stem in a new session so the dropout was not there. Then I exported a new file as separate WAV files not interleaved. That file did not have the dropout no matter what I opened it with. I then used that file to print down the line and so far it has fixed all the dropouts.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:30 AM

Definitely seems to be an issue with interleaved vs mono files. The issue popped up again in one of the recorded files. Even after it looked fine in one session, I opened the same file in a different session and the dropout was there. Then I opened the session it was previously fine in and it was there again as well. Sigh...

Now I'm making all the record files monophonic.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Just the process of making the files monophonic seems to get rid of the dropout. I'll post here if it returns in the mono files.