Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Default Pro Tools 10HD - Switched hardware, now it won't start

I'm running the latest v 10 (10.3.19HD Win 7 Pro 64 bit, HD3 Accel), and it was good on the HD hardware. I switched to the Realtek sound card in the playback engine because I am doing some screen capture stuff and I want to capture the internal audio, and now Pro Tools won't start.

It loads right up until DAE, then gives the message "Pro Tools hardware is either not installed or used by another program." No other applications are running, and the soundcard is installed. Then it closes with no option to change soundcards! I can't seem to get past this and get to work.

I deleted the prefs folder, restarted, and I still can't get in. How do I get it to look at my HD hardware again so I can get back to work? Is there a shortcut during load or something? Thanks.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10HD - Switched hardware, now it won't start

Try this:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en381131

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 12-13-2015, 06:14 PM

Thanks, I did try holding the "N" key down during loadup, and it gives me the option to choose my HD hardware. Then I hit OK, and it crashes. On the next load, it tries the Realtek again, and we are in a loop.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:56 PM

You would need to download and install www.asio4all.com if you wanna use the internal sound card on PC Windows. It's free and the driver acts like a interface so try that and see if you get the sound going

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-13-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean shannon View Post
Thanks, I did try holding the "N" key down during loadup, and it gives me the option to choose my HD hardware. Then I hit OK, and it crashes. On the next load, it tries the Realtek again, and we are in a loop.
A couple of other threads I checked mentioned reinstalling the HD Driver and if that did not work to reinstall Pro Tools but unfortunately the original poster never responded on that thread to say what worked or didn't work.
Sorry, I was hoping the 'n' during boot would get you squared away.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 12-13-2015, 07:30 PM

Thanks! ASIO 4 All allowed me to use the ASIO driver, then go to playback engine and reset to HD TDM, so I'm back in. Now I need to learn the ASIO driver setup so I can capture my soundcard's audio! I appreciate it, not sure why it was crashing, the "n" key should have done it.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:50 PM

Learn what ASIO driver setup? I would stick with ASIO4ALL (which wraps the non-ASIO windows driver with an ASIO wrapper).

But I am not sure exactly what you are planning to do. Recording audio out on a PC in Pro Tools has been discussed on DUC before, you can look through past posts. An easy way is to use something like Audacity to record the "Stereo Mix" windows device. And then just drag that audio file into Pro Tools. Other ways I would look at include taking digital audio out of your card if it has that into your HD interface. Nice and simple and just works...
Old 12-14-2015, 12:02 AM

"Learn what ASIO driver setup?" Meaning using Pro Tools for the first time with the built in sound card and all that goes with it as I record my actions on video into a third party program. It's pretty cool actually. I'm not trying to capture the stereo mix in Pro Tools, I already have that going, I'm capturing the stereo Pro Tools mix, the screen, and a live mic in Active Presenter. Thanks for the suggestions.