Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 09:25 AM

Default Source-Connect vs. ISDN for VO-Anyone using both?

i've seen the user quotes on Source Elements site that seem to suggest that this plug-in can/will replace ISDN codecs for remote sessions. Does anyone out there have real world experience with Source-Connect?

I am a VO guy with an ISDN studio - both Zephyr and APT. Apart from monthly line charges, is there a real benefit to this software? I'm thinking that it might be useful for when I'm away on vacation and there is no ISDN studio available, but one with Pro Tools and a high speed connection. I have a couple of clients that want access to me when I'm away and sure enough, where we are going doesn't have ISDN.

Do both studios need to have the full software plug-in? Also, I've heard that there may be a scaled down version that just streams the session on the internet. Any comments and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
Old 01-17-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Source-Connect vs. ISDN for VO-Anyone using both?

We have successfully used Source connect on a number of High profile feature films where the actors were in LA and the director was in Sydney, Australia. The System has worked perfectly. The caveats are making sure that you have a very reliable internet connection and your local sub net is uncrowded with traffic. The advantages are cost and convenience, with the added advantage is that you can now connect and control the remote Pro Tools system via a rewire connection that uses less bandwidth than sending a timecode channel (we have done this in the past and it also worked fine, but we have a very fast connection to the Internet).
It is simple to operate and is quite a brilliant piece of software. I would suggest that you download the demo and give it a try with a remote studio. Source Connect have brilliant support and will help you get up and running. In a country where we can pay thousands of dollars for an ISDN connection this is a godsend.
hope this helps
Simon L.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:23 PM

Thanks Simon. That's what I wanted to hear.

In my home studio situation, I am happy to continue with the ISDN setup, as I can connect cheaply to my clients - mostly in the U.S., for about $6.00 CDN per hour, without any concerns about bandwidth - although it could be quite useful here, as my upload speed on cable is 800k, with 5 meg down.

I'm going to be on Maui, where there is no ISDN studio, so Source-Connect may be just the ticket. I'll contact the studio there to see if we can both do the demo and take it from there.

Thanks again.

Bob
Old 01-17-2006, 03:35 PM

I have both, and for me, ISDN is still the way to go. Until we(ok.. me and the studios I connect with) all get better, faster internet connections, I don't see SC replacing ISDN.

Good tool? Yes.
Great design? Yes.
Cheaper than ISDN? Yes.
Ready for me to ditch ISDN? No.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I don't see SC replacing ISDN.

I heard (in the 1980's) that cell phones will never be cost effective for the general public to own???
Same was said (in the 1970s) for the personal computer!!!
Also internet phones (1990s)

Be carefull!!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Source-Connect vs. ISDN for VO-Anyone using bo

Quote:
Be carefull!!!!
Be careful how you quote him. You took those words out of context. It's not his fault that other studios don't have as good a T1 as him (or us).

We have a license for it, but the vast majority of our work is still APT, Zephyr, or Zephyr Xstream. Either the other studios don't have it, or don't want to use it. Since I do not get my hands dirty with scheduling, I know the answer to neither.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:21 AM

I'll second what Chief Technician said. We have both MP3 and APT ISDN codecs as well as Source-Connect. For Source-Connect, It's all down to how good an internet connection both ends have. We've had enough embarrasing situations with clients present to make me gun-shy about using it.

When it works, it's great...when it doesn't, we fall back on ISDN every time.