Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2011, 09:00 AM

Default Can't hear own voice while recording it

I just bought a new Mbox (this one: http://www.avid.com/static/resources...0x700_Mbox.jpg), and started to use it with ProTools 9.0.3.

My problem is the headphones output on the Mbox don't play back my own voice while I'm recording it (or any other instrument for that sake, neither mic or line recording).

My dealer says this probably is due to that I have upgraded to Mac OS X 10.6.8. But Avid states that 9.03 should work with this OS version, and I suspect that the dealer use this as a standard excuse for stuff he doesn't know ...

Anyone else experienced this problem? Of course, I have read the manual, and I do think I have put all software settings right, but I may have overseen something?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 AM

Do the headphone work for anything, basic playback?
Do you have input only monitoring enabled?
Have you read that section of the manual?

Darryl
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Can't hear own voice while recording it

Quote:
Originally Posted by speilegg View Post
I just bought a new Mbox (this one: http://www.avid.com/static/resources...0x700_Mbox.jpg), and started to use it with ProTools 9.0.3.

My problem is the headphones output on the Mbox don't play back my own voice while I'm recording it (or any other instrument for that sake, neither mic or line recording).

My dealer says this probably is due to that I have upgraded to Mac OS X 10.6.8. But Avid states that 9.03 should work with this OS version, and I suspect that the dealer use this as a standard excuse for stuff he doesn't know ...

Anyone else experienced this problem? Of course, I have read the manual, and I do think I have put all software settings right, but I may have overseen something?
Just to save some time, why don't you give us all the details about your system and give a complete analysis of your setup.. i.e.// inputs outputs, hardware configuration, Playback engine settings, signal chain from your mic in and out of protools. this will save a lot of that favorite old blindfold game "pin the tail on the donkey".
Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 AM

Thanks for your help.
Anyway, I just found out a way by myself:
Unlike my old Mbox/protools, on my new system the recording track should not be muted. To avoid latency, I enabled Options>Delay Compensation and Options>Low Latency Monitoring.
Seems to work.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speilegg View Post
Thanks for your help.
Anyway, I just found out a way by myself:
Unlike my old Mbox/protools, on my new system the recording track should not be muted. To avoid latency, I enabled Options>Delay Compensation and Options>Low Latency Monitoring.
Seems to work.
Just a heads up, Unless your recording through multiple reverbs, delays, etc . delay compensation not needed, and you can also turn down your playback engine to minimize delay monitoring. )