Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2015, 01:48 AM

Default How To Achieve Clear Vocals

I have A Neumann TLM102
MBox 3
Protools LE 8.0.4
I have the waves bundle
I'm recording 24bit/48KHZ
I have a vocal shield on my mic stand and have one inch accoustic foam all around the room and roof
I have messed around with plugins but I can't get that right sound.

What good EQ/Compresser/Reverb should I be using and what should I put them at? I just do rap vocals over instrumentals

Also I was told to put dither L2 on the master track and keep it at 24 bit. Record to track then export that at 24bit/48KHZ WAV format I can't do MP3 but I usually just convert it to MP3 in iTunes

With Beat:
https://soundcloud.com/jaywestmusic/bounce-16

With Out Beat Or Plugins:
https://soundcloud.com/jaywestmusic/bounce-19

I feel that the vocals dont stick out or have a warm filling to them. Like the beat dominates them.
Kinda sounds like they go in and out at times

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Jay West; 07-27-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Avid

Default Re: How To Achieve Clear Vocals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay West View Post
I have A Neumann TLM102
MBox 3
Protools LE 8.0.4
I have the waves bundle
I'm recording 24bit/48KHZ
I have a vocal shield on my mic stand and have one inch accoustic foam all around the room and roof
I have messed around with plugins but I can't get that right sound.

What good EQ/Compresser/Reverb should I be using and what should I put them at? I just do rap vocals over instrumentals

Also I was told to put dither L2 on the master track and keep it at 24 bit. Record to track then export that at 24bit/48KHZ WAV format I can't do MP3 but I usually just convert it to MP3 in iTunes

With Beat:
https://soundcloud.com/jaywestmusic/bounce-16

With Out Beat Or Plugins:
https://soundcloud.com/jaywestmusic/bounce-19

I feel that the vocals dont stick out or have a warm filling to them. Like the beat dominates them.
Kinda sounds like they go in and out at times

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Hey Jay -

The first version 'with beat' link you posted is not working. The second one of just vocal only sounds pretty good I would say…

For me - any time tracking a vocal, I like to have a mic preamp that has analogue EQ (especially hi pass filters) and Compressor/limiter before begin digitized and going into Pro Tools. It allows you to print a hotter level and shape out all the unwanted very low end. Yes - you can accomplish some of that on an aux channel with plug-ins but you may get some latency then… My feeling is - a little front end processing will help you and sit better in the mix without a ton of fixing later. I'm currently using a Focusrite ISA 220 but there a plenty of less expensive options.

As far as sitting the vocal into the pocket of your mix - I can't tell where you are at since the first link didn't work.

Hope this helps…
Thanks,
Tom

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 07-27-2015, 04:35 PM

I haven't used the TLM102 so its tough to comment there. Some good advice already, and here's a few more cent's worth A decent voice(it all starts with the talent), a decent mic, a clean preamp(or a good "character" preamp) and a good sounding space(or as you are doing, trying to keep the space out of the way). Sensible recording levels(just into the yellow).

Once its recorded, my chain is EQ III for hi-pass, BF76 doing gentle compression, SMACK! for more compression and some character, and finally, a Pultec EQ to add some "air" at the top(MAAG EQ is close, but nothing seems to do "sparkle" like a Pultec EQ1A). I use the Waves Puigtech, but even the Bomb Factory Pultec is worth owning for this.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-13-2015, 08:18 PM

I think a little compression/limiting would go a long way to get you closer to a "vocal dominant" sound. Plugins are very close these days, but I have yet to sell my hardware 1176, as it is invaluable to getting a rockin', present vocal sound (although Slate pretty much nailed it in VMR).

Apart from adding additional hardware going in, you can get it done with what you have and following the chain that Dave has described (HPF/compression/EQ sparkle to taste). What Waves bundle do you have? Should be plenty of good options there...
Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 AM

One more suggestion if you have a vocal that "seems fine" but still doesn't pop; distortion. I know, you're thinking why would I do that? I felt the same until I saw/heard this in action. Use an AUX send to feed your vocal to a mono AUX track. On this AUX, insert EQ 111, enable the hi-pass filter(6db per octave is fine) and slide the filter up to around 2.5-3K(fine tune later). Now insert a distortion plugin(like SansAmp?) and grab a preset for something mild. With this AUX track fader all the way down, play the track and start adding the AUX track in

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-05-2015, 10:03 AM

I've used the TLM103 for a little over 10 years which is very similar to the 102 and it's a high end mic which crisp details and warmth. IMHO I would recommend a mic pre. Even something like a Prosonus Eureka (w/digital out card) would be a huge improvement.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 04-22-2016, 06:19 AM

What is warm filling?.....I heard the track and you need to work on the mix first....The mix is very harsh in upper mids and highs and the low frequencies are very scattered, and not focused, so clear up that, also seems like everything is fighting for the same space, next vocals don't sound awful but i hear pumping ....that's an issue with the compression, maybe on the way in....Try dumping some of the plugins on the vocal ....Use compression first at 3 to 1 ratio with a moderate release and attack time ...use a bus for a send for reverbs on an aux for reverb take it off the track ....Not being harsh just honest....whats your pre amp for vocals,

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2016, 04:19 AM

You don't get half the benefit of that very expensive mic unless you use a good preamp. You will also need either:

a) impeccable vocal technique (which very few singers have), or

b) a hardware compressor for tracking.

If you can only afford an inexpensive compressor, that's fine, use it lightly. Then compress a bit more with a plugin while mixing.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr