Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 PM

Default Lessons from upgrading?

Well I have been around a while, namely since Pro Tools V5 with Waves Gold. I should state since selling my "Mix" TDM rig I have gone solely native for a good number of years.

Recently, I have been drawing a few conclusions regarding my strategy of plugin purchases after this latest round of upgrading to PT11 and AAX 64. Here's the sum of my accumulated wisdom.

1. Avid (Digidesign) possibly don't make the sexiest of plugs but they sure look attractive when it comes to upgrading with their continuously free upgrades and early updates.

2. Avid have brought some of the old DSP only plugins to the native table

3. Some of the Avid old timers have been dumped along the way, largely because they weren't that popular or useful. To be fair, in a capitalist society this is to be expected and maybe even praised. That doesn't mean I don't miss some old long lost friends though!

4. Plugin fashions come and go. Some brands were all the hype not many years ago but seem to have quickly fallen at the upgrade hurdle.

5. Some brands are generous and long serving with their free upgrades. In the long run their plugs are cheaper to keep active and I am more likely to support them in the future.

6. Others seem to charge for each and every upgrade, even seemingly minor ones and often not trivial upgrade prices too. I am less likely to support these companies with further purchases or maybe even using these plugs in my mixes.

7. Bundles are the way forward. Sure, you have to bite the bullet but the rewards are there both in purchasing and upgrading. Double savings

So what are your thoughts? Any long term plugin wisdom warmly welcomed!

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-05-2013, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Lessons from upgrading?

Wave Arts (www.wavearts.com) has FANTASTIC support, and I use their Trackplug and Finalplug on just about everything. ($50 for AAX upgrade.)
Softube. Also great support, and a great value. (Free AAX upgrade)
Speaking of great value, at $39/plug, P&M plugins from Dontcrack.com are also worth every cent. (Already AAX)
I also use UA powered plugins, and I do like them a lot, but still having to use Blue Cat Patchwork to use them in PT 11. (Waiting for AAX...)
Old 12-06-2013, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Lessons from upgrading?

Agreed on all that-

When you look back over say the last 10 years, It's very interesting to separate the stuff that seemed like it had great value at the time, vs the stuff that actually has had great value.

Certainly Avid plugs aren't cheap, but year after year after year they do represent good value, a plugin that is $500 and can be used for 10+ years ends up being cheaper than a $150 one that you no longer use in 2 years.

I really like the way fabfilter does their bundle pricing (and very good support!)...