Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2002, 01:10 PM

Default additional card for wavelab

Will I need an additional card for use with Wavelab 4.0 or is the digi001 card enough? if not, will there be a difference in sonic quality if I use one?
Old 05-02-2002, 01:17 PM

Default Re: additional card for wavelab

No, you can use the digi 001 as the sound card. The only thing you will have to do is set the multimedia setting to default to digi (which will force you to reboot) then you can use the the digi for wavelab.

Note: When you want to return to PTLE you MUST change the setting in multimedia (which will force you to reboot) to not use the digi sound card or PTLE will lock up with an error.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:02 PM

just so you know, there will be few millisecond delay (after you hit "play") before the song starts when you use the 001 with wavelab. this can be annoying when you are trying to say, remove a glitch, or work on a specific small area of a song. i have gotten used to it, but i have heard others complain. even if you adjust the buffer setting in wavelab to the smallest, there is still a slight delay after you hit the play button. i am using wavelab 3.04. i dont know if this is a problem with wavelab 4.0 as well.

i never make any changes to the mutimedia settings. i have the computers sound schemes disabled and the 001 selected as the sound card. i can shut down ptle, and open up wavelab (and visa versa) without re-booting. but you cannot have both programs open at the same time and switch between them.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:17 PM

The delay is a problem in Wavelab 4.0 also, but when I switched to any other sound card there was no playback delay...

I didn't change anything in windows, just choose digi for main device and in wavelab under audio preferences select digi...

I never changed it since, and I go back and forth from PTLE to Wavelab...

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Cedar Rapids, IA
Old 05-02-2002, 06:21 PM

8MM,
4.0 is Awesome!!!!
I thought 3.0 was all I would ever need, but I was wrong...4.0 is worth the upgrade!!!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Cedar Rapids, IA
Old 05-02-2002, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by recordingguy:
8MM,
4.0 is Awesome!!!!
I thought 3.0 was all I would ever need, but I was wrong...4.0 is worth the upgrade!!!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah, i bought wavelab in 1996 and have paid for 2 or 3 upgrades so far. the $99 i shelled out for the last upgrade was not worth it, in fact i liked the older version better. i am hesitant to shell out more $ again for features i might not use. but as far as i am concerned, wavelab is the best mastering program out there.

btw, it is possible to hook up a 2nd soundcard for wavelab and switch between it and ptle with both programs open. . . as long as you have speakers hooked up to both cards.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:21 AM

TRUE!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Cedar Rapids, IA
Old 05-03-2002, 02:49 PM

I've mentioned this before but may as well repeat it.

A really cheap way is to buy an AWE64G, this has an SPDIF output. If you output this directly into your PT SPDIF input, you can set up an Aux input and bring this into your PT session.

Now you can play around with the wonderful variety of VST and Direct X Plugs for Wavelab, and record in real time into Pro Tools (so you're not limited to static processing/rendering to file).

You can ALT/TAB between the programs, and they can both be running/playing at the same time. This can be quite a useful creative tool and I used to use it often for capturing "performed" editing from WLab into PT. Don't have one anymore since I got my MOTU 828.

Of course you can use the Aux in just so that you can monitor through PT as well, and the digital output of the AWE is perfectly OK for sound quality since it doesn't go through their crappy DA converters.

I've seen AWE64G's for 20 UK pounds. Digital outputs don't come much cheaper than this OH I've just remembered - AWE's are ISA sots, so if you've no ISA slot you'll need a newer card, but still you don't need to spend very much money to get SPDIF output these days anyway. Same point anyway.

Simon
Old 05-03-2002, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by scardanelli:
I've mentioned this before but may as well repeat it.

A really cheap way is to buy an AWE64G, this has an SPDIF output. If you output this directly into your PT SPDIF input, you can set up an Aux input and bring this into your PT session.

Now you can play around with the wonderful variety of VST and Direct X Plugs for Wavelab, and record in real time into Pro Tools (so you're not limited to static processing/rendering to file).

You can ALT/TAB between the programs, and they can both be running/playing at the same time. This can be quite a useful creative tool and I used to use it often for capturing "performed" editing from WLab into PT. Don't have one anymore since I got my MOTU 828.

Of course you can use the Aux in just so that you can monitor through PT as well, and the digital output of the AWE is perfectly OK for sound quality since it doesn't go through their crappy DA converters.

I've seen AWE64G's for 20 UK pounds. Digital outputs don't come much cheaper than this OH I've just remembered - AWE's are ISA sots, so if you've no ISA slot you'll need a newer card, but still you don't need to spend very much money to get SPDIF output these days anyway. Same point anyway.

Simon
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">this is the first time i saw this tip. i have a gina card that i do not use. i will hook up the spdif with wavelab and give it a try. thanks!
Old 05-04-2002, 11:08 AM

OK - Make sure you set the sync appropriately.

ie if recording into PT set external SPDIF as the digi sync master, other way if you want to send some stuff to W/lab.

I used to have a Layla and did the same thing, worked a treat.

Hope it's useful to you.

Simon