Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 03-13-2015, 10:47 PM

Default Core audio (HW in use) error cant connect

Hello guys u see iam having issues with my avid hardware, i recently purchased the pcie hd native pcie with tho hd io 16x16 analog, i hooked everything up with the latest drivers avid has now, anyways i managed to play and record audio, but then one of my clients came to record but he had a protools session and i needed to extract the instrumental to record in my daw of choice logicX anyways i didnt have pro tools installed on that partition, so i went to my older osx partition which runs osx 10.6.7 because there i have protools 9, so what i did is boot to that partition to load my clients session to extract the instrumental, so when i opened protools it said in order for me to open pro tools 9 i had to downgrade something on my avid hardware in order to use it (i think it said something about downgrading firmware or something) anyways i said yes, long story short i was able to extract what i needed so after i whent ahead and went back to my osx 10.9.5 partition to use logic x, so then after that nothing wants to work i get no sound, i opened the avid core audio manager and the (hardware setup) now is greyed out, and also i click connect and it wont. It says (HD Hardware in use) so now i dont know what to do please please help, thx in advance!!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Core audio (HW in use) error cant connect

Please help
Old 03-14-2015, 11:41 AM

I'm trying to help. Please go to the link I'm posting and start there.
Help us to help you.

Also what I've done like, many others, is put my setup in my sig so anytime I need help and post, the info is right there, that would help.

It's very tough to give specifics without knowing your specific setup. It sounds like you've overwritten your firmware in the Native card.

I'm guessing that you have 32 bit firmware installed over the newer 64 bit firmware. Also PT 9 is 32 bit and I don't think it will run on Mavericks. Try going back into the Snow Leopard or is that just Leopard and opening the Avid Core Audio manager there (if there is one), and making sure it's not connected and not running, if so, try quitting it there and then get out of that partition, go back to Mavericks and see if it connects then. I think you've got the reason sussed, Avid Core Audio is not passing audio or connecting to the card.

I'm not familiar with PT9, I jumped over it and went to PT10.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:29 PM

Thanks here i have updated my Signature. Thanks

2009 Mac Pro
2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad core 16 GB of RAM
OSX 10.9.5

Apple Logic X
Old 03-14-2015, 09:23 PM

This is worth a try' Set your OS to use Core audio for all system and non-Pro Tools sounds. That will leave your Avid hardware to do nothing BUT Pro Tools.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-15-2015, 12:26 AM

thank you very much for your help, i tried this but it didnt work, i am really stressing over this, i mean i can record and hear audio but only on my osx 10.6.7 partition i really tried eerything under my knowledge and still cant fix the issue. my core audui manager on my osx10.9,5 says (Not Connected (HW in use) but i ask myself : "used by what"? i will upload a screenshot. also another user said that i might of overwritten the 64 bit firmware to the 32 bit. is there such thing? if there is how could i upgrade the firmware to 64 bit, thx again friends ffor your wonderful help :) :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G_L0-X_r-CeLRoZC5DEK-8-dwZF7PYPr6gU48o82yK8.jpg (46.5 KB, 0 views)

2009 Mac Pro
2 x 2.26 Ghz Quad core 16 GB of RAM
OSX 10.9.5

Apple Logic X
Old 03-15-2015, 08:18 AM

Hi there,

This seems like a little too much of a work around, but it sure has solved all of my problems.
If you have a monitor controller with a digital in, take the digital out of the mac pro into the digital in of the controller.
Set all system sounds and other software to output Mac digital.
Let ProTools use the HD native.
If you don't have a monitor controller, a:Get one, b: you can plug the mac digital into the digital input of your interface.
This means you'll have to open Protools to listen to the mac sounds.

I had a bunch of different software that just would not work when Core audio was in the picture.
Once I made it go away, everything has come back to life with no problems.

Not sure about the firmware issue.
All I know is, it was a nightmare to switch firmware on a native card. Not something that could happen by accident.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:05 PM

" i have protools 9,"

Have your client Save Copy in Pro Tools 7-9 compatible format?

.ptf (If it's .ptx it won't work for PT's 9)
----

Or have your client render all and consolidate then just send you the .wav and midi files from his session to import into any DAW.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:56 PM

Thinking about this a bit more. After seeing your setup, it looks as though you've bought HD hardware without HD software. You've been able to download the drivers for the hardware and they installed and were seeing Avid Core Audio. This was done on your Mavericks partition.

So, now you have a working 64 bit hardware system installed on a 64 bit OS and it was working with Logic X (which is 64 bit I'm assuming).

Then...you went into your 32 bit partition to use the 64 bit system and ending up downgrading your firmware...that is what the Alert came up saying and you agreed to that, so the system went ahead and flashed the 32 bit firmware onto your card. This is the part I'm not sure about: If the firmware is also 32 bit specific then that is exactly what happened. If not, then it flashed the hardware with the firmware that is designed to work with the 32 bit OS. Since I do not know the specifics of the firmware this is conjecture on my part, but appears plausible.

Have you tried re-installing the drivers you used to set up the hardware while in your Mavericks partition?

I've checked here, but nothing that jumps out:
HD Native Hardware errors and resolutions

I also found this...Avid Core Audio Manager problem

Nothing specific there either, unless you installed Resolve while you were running that.

If I can assume correctly, there seems to be a module that gets invoked upon PT HD booting. It apparently has enough smarts to know what OS it's currently running in and if the OS and firmware can work together. If not, it will look for a suitable firmware module and install that if allowed to after the Alert has been shown. The unfortunate part, for you, is that you don't have PT 11 HD to boot and do the firmware upgrade for you. I'm not sure if there is a way to force the hardware to do it other than finding a .plist file for it and configuring that to force the update, and I'm not sure about that either.

I would try and re-install the drivers.
Also have you looked at the Audio/MIDI utility? does the Native card show up there?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:55 AM

Hello!
Has anybody resolved that problem?
Anybody?