Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Omni Preamp fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
You could also try contacting a repair center directly
http://www.avid.com/audiorepair

But personally i would try the dealer route first.
Most repair centres do not deal with I/Os - certainly not in Europe.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Had the same issues with an Omni I bought used from eBay.
Bought an ASC, sent the unit in, they tried to fix it, in the end they sent me a brand new Omni and gave me a full refund on the ASC.

Avid is aware that this is a hardware issue, and they have been really helpful and costumer friendly about it. Thumbs up!
Hi Folks: Just to update, I did finally get through to Avid after waiting on hold for about 20 minutes and spoke to a fellow named "John". John and I were on the telephone for about 10 minutes but I think we only spoke for about 2 - 3 minutes as he had to keep looking things up. Anyway I tell him that the problem is with the preamps and it is a known one according the folks on this forum. He comes back after a few minutes and quotes me $2,995- to repair it plus $35.35 tax and $209.65 shipping. I tell him that is ridiculous as I could buy a new one for that and that according the forum Avid was standing behind is problem and fixing them for free. After being put on hold - again - he came back later with $947 to fix plus $29.75 tax and $66.31 shipping (why the shipping was less I'll never know). He flat out stated that "there are no exceptions for any type of Omni repair at this time."

The dealer I bought it from is on Ebay and I will try contacting them but things are not looking good. This is very disappointing. Hell, at this point I'd rather give Millennia about the same repair money to upgrade my HV - 3d from 4 to 8 preamps.

Any help greatly appreciated though.

-Steve.
Gladden Sound LLC
Old 03-24-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1 View Post
Hi Folks: Just to update, I did finally get through to Avid after waiting on hold for about 20 minutes and spoke to a fellow named "John". John and I were on the telephone for about 10 minutes but I think we only spoke for about 2 - 3 minutes as he had to keep looking things up. Anyway I tell him that the problem is with the preamps and it is a known one according the folks on this forum. He comes back after a few minutes and quotes me $2,995- to repair it plus $35.35 tax and $209.65 shipping. I tell him that is ridiculous as I could buy a new one for that and that according the forum Avid was standing behind is problem and fixing them for free. After being put on hold - again - he came back later with $947 to fix plus $29.75 tax and $66.31 shipping (why the shipping was less I'll never know). He flat out stated that "there are no exceptions for any type of Omni repair at this time."

The dealer I bought it from is on Ebay and I will try contacting them but things are not looking good. This is very disappointing. Hell, at this point I'd rather give Millennia about the same repair money to upgrade my HV - 3d from 4 to 8 preamps.

Any help greatly appreciated though.

-Steve.
Gladden Sound LLC
That's really weird.
The guy I talked to on the phone had to look the issue up as well, which took a few minutes, but he got back to me right away saying this indeed is a known issue, and that they'll fix it free of charge (only thing I had to pay for was shipping the unit to Ireland).

What led to the failure of my preamps was, that I hooked/unhooked a mic while phantom power was switched on. The preamps on the older revisions didn't take kindly to that and died. That's the issue Avid is aware of, and that's what I told the Avid rep when describing my issue to him.

I think you should try again, insisting on speaking to a manager if they won't follow through with it.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-24-2015, 10:07 AM

Hold your horses. I got a word that this issue has been escalated and will be taken a closer look...
Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hold your horses. I got a word that this issue has been escalated and will be taken a closer look...
Thanks for the feedback on this, we’ll look into it and get back to you.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post
I have two omnis, both rev A boards with the latest firmware that both exhibit the quiet preamp issue, one has barely any juice on 1 and the other on 2. I believe they are both out of warranty at this point so I was wondering if there was a definitive fix for this problem or will it just keep happening? theres an authorized repair place I will be taking them too, but at this point I may just ditch them completely and move on to bigger and better things.
-Max
Hi Max, we’ve looked into this and found your original case. The price that we quoted initially was incorrect, apologies for this. The second price that we quoted was correct for an out of warranty repair in the US. John was under the impression that you were out of warranty-if the situation is different, please let us know. Regarding Meads post, that repair was performed in Europe. In some countries Avid’s warranty policy may be different, so it’s possible that the previous repair was done under warranty for that reason. Here is a link to Avid’s warranty policy.

Pro Tools 11 FAQ
Old 03-26-2015, 10:12 AM

So currently can a defective omni with this issue be fixed free of charge (besides shipping?)

MKD Creative
Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post
So currently can a defective omni with this issue be fixed free of charge (besides shipping?)
An OMNI will not automatically be fixed free of charge unless it’s under warranty (http://www.avid.com/about-avid/legal-notices/product-warranties).

If you are having trouble with your OMNI please contact Avid directly (find your local office # in the Pro Tools... section here and select RMA/Repairs when calling).

Pro Tools 11 FAQ
Old 04-05-2016, 02:08 PM

Does anyone know an independent tech that can repair these defective units?
Old 04-05-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hi Max, we’ve looked into this and found your original case. The price that we quoted initially was incorrect, apologies for this. The second price that we quoted was correct for an out of warranty repair in the US. John was under the impression that you were out of warranty-if the situation is different, please let us know. Regarding Meads post, that repair was performed in Europe. In some countries Avid’s warranty policy may be different, so it’s possible that the previous repair was done under warranty for that reason. Here is a link to Avid’s warranty policy.

Pro Tools 11 FAQ
Translation, we only will do the right thing and stand by the quality of our products if you live in a country that actually makes us do the right thing?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp