Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 PM

Default Using a 32gb flash drive for audio drive

Hey Guys,

I am in need of an audio drive for my recording but am on a tight budget. My friend gave me this idea of using a usb flash memory stick as a dedicated audio drive for the project I'm working on, then moving it to a standard external hard drive for storage when not been worked on.

My question is will this be fast enough? Also is 32gb big enough for one (or two) project(s)?

Thanks in advance

K
Old 08-20-2012, 10:32 PM

I don't think it would work. Protools recommends 7200 rpm speeds... Try it and tell us your results.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Using a 32gb flash drive for audio drive

most Flash drive are slow
now a SSD with a good bridge board in a case should work

32GB big enough, depends on the project. personally probably not

and USB, what OS:
Mac, not approved
XP or vista, not approved
W7, approved

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM

There are a few newer usb 3.0 flash drives that seem to have pretty impressive specs, but most usb flash drives, especially the cheap ones, are not very fast. Since price seems to be the determining factor, I'd suggest you just buy a hard drive. It might be worth doing the research yourself just to see how the read/write speeds of some of the cheaper usb sticks compare to a 7200 rpm drive, but I think you'll probably find that the hard drive will be cheaper than any usb stick that has similar read/write performance.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:41 AM

One of my clients brought me a CD project(10 songs) that were all transferred on USB pendrives, but they were "cleaned up" of all unused audio to minimize the file size). I dragged the session folders to my audio drive and went to work on them(but I would also be reluctant to try recording to a pendrive). Honestly, buy one(they are so handy to have anyway) and try a test session and see what happens You can get an idea about the capacity by checking the size of some average sessions you already have.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-25-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
One of my clients brought me a CD project(10 songs) that were all transferred on USB pendrives, but they were "cleaned up" of all unused audio to minimize the file size). I dragged the session folders to my audio drive and went to work on them(but I would also be reluctant to try recording to a pendrive). Honestly, buy one(they are so handy to have anyway) and try a test session and see what happens You can get an idea about the capacity by checking the size of some average sessions you already have.
When I do mixes for my kids cheer leading (don't laugh at me ), I usually use a pen drive to mix and do in session bounces. It works fine for the most part. But as I get up in tracks the drive starts throwing errors. I have used every brand practically made and they all have different limits. Perfect for quick edits and tracking a couple of takes, but not reliable for live tracking essential parts. My opinion anyway.
Neil
Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 PM

thanks for the tips guys. i'll do some research and post my results.

K