Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-02-2018, 03:50 AM

Default Field Recorder ignoring some files

Field Recorder again... I've been doing a clean conform for a studio project successfully for several episodes of a studio series. I create a new project with one clean conform track, and then expand by timecode only (no metadata in the files except time of day).

Today something is amiss. It conforms the first 33 of about 45 tracks correctly, then ignores the rest. I see them fine in file explorer, and they are timestamped correctly.

I've experienced this before (in PT11 I think), and trashing prefs did the trick. This time - no dice. I'm reindexing the whole drive in Workspace, it's very slow and will take a few hours, but I happened to see it had already done my problem folder in the status display - and that's made no difference either.

It must be something to do with the volume indexing though - what else can I try? Thanks.

PT 2018HD; W10 Pro; i7 4930; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; 2xGT610
Old 01-04-2018, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Field Recorder ignoring some files

No ideas? Anything else I can try when the indexing has gone screwy?

PT 2018HD; W10 Pro; i7 4930; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; 2xGT610
Old 01-05-2018, 02:46 AM

The only thing I sometimes do that make protools mess up like this is go too fast.

Expand one track at a time, AND before you click expand in the menu, wait. Wait for PT to have a think about all those bits of source media and where their buddies are. I tend to give it 30 seconds per about 20 minutes of material. I’m not at my machine now but it’s possible the task window will give you a heads up.

And as you’re already doing, deleting old catalogs and updating never hurts either.

Hope that works...
Old 01-08-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchase View Post
The only thing I sometimes do that make protools mess up like this is go too fast.

Expand one track at a time, AND before you click expand in the menu, wait. Wait for PT to have a think about all those bits of source media and where their buddies are. I tend to give it 30 seconds per about 20 minutes of material. I’m not at my machine now but it’s possible the task window will give you a heads up.

And as you’re already doing, deleting old catalogs and updating never hurts either.

Hope that works...
Sorry I missed this reply, thanks Simon. But I'm a little confused - I just have one conform track and point it at one folder. Do you mean you thin out the folder so it's not making a complete search each time of all media?

Old 01-10-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Do you mean you thin out the folder so it's not making a complete search each time of all media?
No. Have a look at this

Once I drop the clips on the FRGT it just needs a few seconds to have a think before it will expand correctly
Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 PM

Hmm, I guess I have a different workflow. I drop the clips onto the guide track, then select areas to search, then index from there. Task manager usually takes about 20-30 secs to do that, which must be the same as what your method is doing. Of late, it seems to have been rushing that part of the process sometimes doing it almost instantaneously which makes me suspicious, but I always wait until Task Manager is cleared.