Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-29-2011, 05:58 AM

Default Adjusting level of a region within a track - like Media Composer

Hi

I have recently purchased PT9 to take the audio part of my work to the next level (pardon the pun!). One very important feature for me is that I would like to adjust the level of a region within a track, like I can in Avid Media Composer.

I know that one suggested work around is to use Audiosuite 'Gain'. This is unacceptable to me because when you choose 'preview' in Gain to hear the adjustments you are making, you cannot here the new level in the mix you are working on which is obviously not acceptable when mixing.

I also know that you can use the volume display and use the 'pointing finger' to make adjustments, this I find 'fiddly'.

Is there no way to adjust the level of a region without using a plugin or using automation ? I want to be able to select a region, have a fader pop up and the lower the level - just like Media Composer.

I am very surprised that such an important feature is missing from PT( - if this is the case.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Adjusting level of a region within a track - like Media Composer

No, there is no region-based volume trim in PT. There are different "workarounds" like using Trim plug-in automation, AudioSuite Gain, or switching the track view to the volume lane and do adjustments manually. I personally use a combination of all three, but mostly the last one. It's quite easy, since you can make a selection and then adjust the level for whole selection at once, without the need to manually create the anchor points.

But yes, an independent region-based volume trim would be nice.

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 07-29-2011, 07:18 AM

there are plenty of similar proposals on ideascale, the nicest one probably plug-ins assignable to regions.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 AM

Many Thanks fackir

re your preferred method using volume lane, can you do this and here the results as you do it ? Rather than having to play it back.

Still can't believe that the leading Pro tool for audio work is unable to do this after 9 versions !

Many thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtuna View Post
Is there no way to adjust the level of a region without using a plugin or using automation ? I want to be able to select a region, have a fader pop up and the lower the level - just like Media Composer.

Thanks
If you turn elastic audio on for a track, then look at the elastic properties window for a region, I believe you can get at the region gain that way. I haven't actually done it (Like most people, I just automate everything, and once you become familiar with the various trim modes and tools it's not fiddly at all), and I'm not in front of my rig at the moment, but I think it might work. 'Course you'll be using up more CPU for EA, but depending on your workflow it might be a workaround.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
re your preferred method using volume lane, can you do this and here the results as you do it ? Rather than having to play it back.
I'm not sure right now, to be honest, as I usually use this method only for some initial and very coarse gain settings with the transport stopped. But AFAIK it can be done while playing back - just make a selection, press play (or loop play) and then you should be able to adjust the gain of the selection on the fly.

Quote:
Still can't believe that the leading Pro tool for audio work is unable to do this after 9 versions !
Hehe, this is a never-ending story. Yes, there are some extremely useful features missing in the leading professional audio workstation for years. And I know how much it can be annoying. But take it from the bright side - there are some extremely useful features, that only Pro Tools has and they make the real-world difference between "Look, I can record a rock band" DAW and "I do this for a living every day" DAW. Now Logic/DP/Cubendo/Reaper/etc. users might take this personally, :) but that's just how I see it as a filmmaker, where other DAWs are almost useless for me... But I know the music industry is a whole different world. Simply said, PT is far from perfect, but it's getting better and better. We'll see what the near future brings.

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 07-30-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
and use the 'pointing finger' to make adjustments, this I find 'fiddly'.
LOL.... must be under 25. Mixing is "fiddly".. so is surgery.

but try using the "sideways" trim tool, where you can adjust the entire region by draggin it up and down. ff
Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 AM

Smile Re: Adjusting level of a region within a track - like Media Composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakir_cz View Post
Hehe, this is a never-ending story. Yes, there are some extremely useful features missing in the leading professional audio workstation for years.
YEP!!

I recently did some voiceover recording and simple editing with a media composer and really liked the region based volume. Not to mention the possibility of non-destructive region based EQ...

I sometimes miss the AudioVison which had all that plus a really cool ADR tool.
The manufacturer was AVID by the way
Maybe the plans are still in the archive... somewhere deep down in the basement...
Old 09-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Selecting the region, switching to show volume automation (- keyboard shortcut) and adjusting the volume with the trim tool does exactly what you are trying to do except there is no visual fader representation.

You can also look into trim automation (on hd) and see if that would fit your workflow better since it seems that you are writing these changes on the fly.

To me it seems like the issue is not a PT lacking x feature issue, but a workflow issue where you're used to doing things one way, and pt wants to do it another way.

Just my thoughts

wanderingear.net
Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 AM

if it is just about one region, I usually use the elastic audio way and as soon, as it is done confirm it, so it doesn't eat up too much CPU. Works for me, the only drawback is the fact, that you can only decrease level, no way to go up from where you are. But then again, I agree, that the automation is fairly quick to use, once you got into it for a little while.

Kai