Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 12-07-2014, 11:30 PM

Default Rather Odd Crossgrade/Update Question..

Currently, I own Pro Tools M-Powered Essentials V. 8.02 (disk for and came with M-Audio Fast track interface 1) .. That particular software was loaded onto my old Windows XP computer in which it's hard drive just crashed massively.
This led me to invest into a brand new, high-spec computer to start engineering audio again..
Well sadly, M-Powered Essentials 8.02 won't work with Windows 8.1. Therefore I can't upload it to my computer (compatibility mode didn't work), Pro Tools 11 is the only Pro Tools software that is tested to work with Windows 8.1.
After just investing in a computer, I've no funds available to but full Pro Tools 11.

Getting to the point/question: Is there any realm of possibility that I may be able to buy the Crossgrade for upgrading Pro Tools M-Powered to Pro Tools 11 (currently $200 online), without having to install M-Powered onto my computer? (I just can't get M-Powered to install, all I get is a light gray screen!! )

Will my version of M-Powered V8.02 even be eligible for the PT11 Crossgrade?

Even if having M-Powered on the computer before Upgrading to 11 is a must, can't I just get onto another computer, install M-Powered, activate PT11 from that separate computer, then import PT11 onto my new computer somehow?

Sorry for the long-winded-ness of this post, I'm just kind of lost with all of Avid's Red Tape.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Rather Odd Crossgrade/Update Question..

yes, M-Powerd to 11 is an available cross-grade http://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDe...g=&&store=shop

x.0 is always a complete installer, no need to install previous version (better if you don't even try)
and actually now even the second dot releases are full installers ie 11.2.2

you will need a v2 ilok for 11, you old v1 won't cut it ($50 or someone might have a package deal, free iLok with plug-in purchase. UVI and Slate have had them in the past)

Quote:
Even if having M-Powered on the computer before Upgrading to 11 is a must, can't I just get onto another computer, install M-Powered, activate PT11 from that separate computer, then import PT11 onto my new computer somehow?
no, you'll never get the that to work

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-08-2014, 09:04 AM

Sweet, so how may I be able to get my Pro Tools 8.02 Essentials to install onto my computer? Whenever I put the disk in, It just opens up Pro Tools onto a small completely light gray window..

And I never really had an ilok in the first place, just the disk and that worked pretty well. I'm not too sure if that'll cause any complications with upgrading the software to 11.. Its definitely legit though, I bought the set up from Guitar center a few years back.

You said something about X.0 being a complete install? How's that?

Much thanks!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 PM

M-Powered always required an iLok to work or so I thought

8.0 full installer
8.0.1 a patch that was installed after 8.0 was installed
9.0 full installer that requires uninstalling 8.x.y to work correctly
and so forth until now
the last fer releases have been full installers not needing the previous whole number version installed first
11.2.2 doesn't need 11.0 or 11.2 to be installed before hand

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-08-2014, 07:55 PM

Dang it! I still can't get it to work..

Is there a difference between M-Powered Essentials and just M-Powered, or are they just one of the same?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 PM

I'll have to dig but I believe they are different

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Pro Tools Essential and Pro Tools SE software are not eligible for the Crossgrade to Pro Tools.

Also, those versions did not require an iLok, but were bundled with select M-Audio hardware required to use Pro Tools Essential or SE.