Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 AM

Default LE 8 - Unable To Launch Midi Server

Please, somebody must know.

The I was happily running 7.0 with my 002 with midi perfect then I go and get a 003.

I am now running Leopard 10.5.6 & LE 8. When I try and open AUDIO/MIDI Setup I get greeted with the message "unable to aunch midi server". I read on some page that if you delete the Digi Midi drivers it opens - which it does but the 003 is not listed on the midi studio.

Please, I just want my outboard midi back....let my JV-1080 live again.

Anyone?

Cheers
Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Avid

Default Re: LE 8 - Unable To Launch Midi Server

This is possibly caused by corrupted or outdated PACE drivers - please install the latest versions located at www.paceap.com.

If that doesn't help, please let us know which drivers you have installed at:

MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Drivers
Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Firstly, thank you for your response.

I went throught the process of update the PACE drivers but nothing changed.

A parculiar thing is that when you are in Pro Tools LE 8 I cannot launch Midi Studio. You click on it and nothing happens.

The drivers listed in my Midi Drivers folder are:

DigidesignFireWireMIDI.plugin
DigidesignMbox2MIDI.plugin
DigidesignMIDIIODRIVER.plugin
DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin
DIOOSXMIDIDriver.plugin
EmagicUSBMIDIDriver.plugin
Line6MIDI.plugin

Any ideas?

Cheers
Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 AM

Just spoke to Digi Support and they suggested cleaning and re-installing but still nothing.

Why can't LE 8.0 play external Midi??
Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Avid

Quote:
Why can't LE 8.0 play external Midi??
It can - there's something wrong with your system that's causing the problem

Please remove this driver: DIOOSXMIDIDriver.plugin

Also, if you do not have an Emagic MIDI interface or the Digidesign MIDI IO interface, please remove these:

DigidesignMIDIIODRIVER.plugin
EmagicUSBMIDIDriver.plugin

Then do this:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.

If it still doesn't work, please create a new admin account, restart and log in under the new account and test again.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 PM

HI, I am glad to have found this thread because I am experiencing the same problem with my Digi 002. Brand new system, MacPro 8 x 2.8 - 10.5.6 - Protools 8.0 - on install, 002 firmware was automatically updated.
At first the digi 002 showed up in the audio midi setup window but you couldn't click on it. It was shaded out. Now it just doesn't show up at all. Other than that, the 002 works fine for recording and playing back. When I'm playing the midi controller the midi lights on the 002 flash. It is receiving information, and appears to be functioning correctly.
I have done everything suggested in this thread as well as reinstall everything from the OS to the ProTools, as suggested by phone tech support. Nothing solves the problem. The only way I can test out the cool new instruments is with finished songs with pre-existing midi tracks. They sound great! I wish I could use them!

HELP!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Wadhams View Post
HI, I am glad to have found this thread because I am experiencing the same problem with my Digi 002. Brand new system, MacPro 8 x 2.8 - 10.5.6 - Protools 8.0 - on install, 002 firmware was automatically updated.
At first the digi 002 showed up in the audio midi setup window but you couldn't click on it. It was shaded out. Now it just doesn't show up at all. Other than that, the 002 works fine for recording and playing back. When I'm playing the midi controller the midi lights on the 002 flash. It is receiving information, and appears to be functioning correctly.
I have done everything suggested in this thread as well as reinstall everything from the OS to the ProTools, as suggested by phone tech support. Nothing solves the problem. The only way I can test out the cool new instruments is with finished songs with pre-existing midi tracks. They sound great! I wish I could use them!

HELP!
Can you tell us more about your system? Have you done any of the other steps in the General Troubleshooting thread? Try trashing preference, creating a new admin account and testing the 002 with a new cable and/or a new port on the computer.

Also, please let us know which drivers you have installed at:

MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Drivers

You may possibly have a defective 002 that's in need of a new cable harness. If the serial number ends in A-F, it's possible that could be causing the problem and you should contact tech support by phone for assistance.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:34 PM

Hi, yes I have tried all the trouble shooting outlined above and all the general knowledge from using PT professionally since 1997. I threw out all the midi drivers except the one for firewire. The Digi 002 works fine for recording and playing back and since it all comes through tthe same firewire cable Ia m aassuming it is functioning fine. When I get back to my home studio (where the problem is) I will check the serial numbers for the defective units. I hope it's not that! thank you for your help and I will check back in when I have more info about the hardware!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:52 PM

My digi 002 serial number DOES end in F!
I guess I will call phone support about it tomorrow...
Is there a way I can test the 002 to see if it is truly defective??

FYI: The only driver in my midi drivers folder is DigidesignFireWireMIDI.plugin. I was told by phone support to trash the ones I didn't need. (perhaps I trashed something I needed?)

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by Tad Wadhams; 01-27-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: will call phone support ... added
Old 01-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Wadhams View Post
My digi 002 serial number DOES end in F!
I guess I will call phone support about it tomorrow...
Is there a way I can test the 002 to see if it is truly defective??

FYI: The only driver in my midi drivers folder is DigidesignFireWireMIDI.plugin. I was told by phone support to trash the ones I didn't need. (perhaps I trashed something I needed?)

Thanks again for the help.

Did you see the DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin in that folder? If so, can you put it back in and test again?