How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 AM

Default SC48 to iMac Thunderbolt Issues

Hey all.

We are having an issue with a new iMac that we just deployed at FOH. When playing back or recording into ProTools 11, we are getting stoppage of playback with a buffer error. We're thinking this is somehow related to the Thunderbolt to Firewire setup, as this issue didn't occur on our old iMac that had Firewire 800 natively. Regardless of our CPU cores and percentage settings in PT, the issue is still there.

We're running Mac OS 10.8, with a Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter, then an 800-to-400 cable for connecting to the SC48. We're on desk software 3.0, and this is all a clean install.

Anyone else running into similar issues?

Thanks for the help.

-chris
Old 11-19-2013, 01:29 PM

Default Re: SC48 to iMac Thunderbolt Issues

A couple of quick thoughts: first, and it's silly but I've found that I almost always have to restart the computer after everything is setup and talking to the desk. The other is, are you using a firewire hard drive to record? I haven't done much with TB and don't know exactly how the adaptor affects things, BUT I've found that using a seperate bus for the record drive (USB, etc) is pretty mandatory as the console interface pretty much maxes out the firewire bus.

Again, the TB adaptor may well be causing other issues, but these are a couple of simple things to start with.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoran View Post
Hey all.

We are having an issue with a new iMac that we just deployed at FOH. When playing back or recording into ProTools 11, we are getting stoppage of playback with a buffer error. We're thinking this is somehow related to the Thunderbolt to Firewire setup, as this issue didn't occur on our old iMac that had Firewire 800 natively. Regardless of our CPU cores and percentage settings in PT, the issue is still there.

We're running Mac OS 10.8, with a Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter, then an 800-to-400 cable for connecting to the SC48. We're on desk software 3.0, and this is all a clean install.

Anyone else running into similar issues?

Thanks for the help.

-chris
As I don't use TB>FW I can't be much of a help, but I'm just asking, since you did not mention it, what is the buffer size you are using? You know, after all, it's a buffer error you are getting. Might be just a too small of a buffer size.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:33 PM

btw i'm using thunderbolt->fw800->fw400 adapters... it is almost working flawless for me with a mac book air! so in case of an imac the issue must be somewhere else.