Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 AM

Default Imac i5 with HD Thunderbolt

I just bought a HD THUNDERBOLT system. I have a mid 2012 I5 Imac. When reading the system requirements avid recommends a Imac with a I7 processor. I looked all over the internet and I'm not even sure you can get a imac with an i7 processor. Does anyone have any experience using the HD THunderbolt with a i5 imac? Any issues? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Imac i5 with HD Thunderbolt

The I7 Imacs are upgrades from the regular I5's and are not stock models. So many dealers won't have them available, however, some do like B & H.

Typically you would order these from the Apple Store online, and select that processor upgrade.

As for I7 over I5, one reason is that on the Imacs, only the I7 processors have hyper-threading, which allows Protools to see more virtual cores. They tend to be more powerful in general. If you're stuck with an I5 I think it should still work okay. But if you can return it and get an I7, you may be happier in the long run.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info. I did hear from an Avid Rep that the Thunderbolt tested fine on i5's. They just want you to have the latest and greatest. Though he did say the more Ram the better as this effects the disc cache. If I could I would go get. New Mac but this bundle pretty much wiped me out. Maybe next year.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM

it's not the Thunderbolt port it's the amount of raw CPU power available
i7 has a lot more power than an i5

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 AM

I was referring to the Avid Thunderbolt setup. Not the imac. But yea I hearvwhat your saying.