Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 PM

Default Noobie

No need for this post anymore. Carry on with your will this work with that, vs. will that work with this talk and I'll work on more tunes on my Master Model. I got a gig this Saturday anyway.

Last edited by DeezTracks; 11-11-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: I do not have an Apple machine, and will not ever.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Noobie

Nevermind. I was just joking. I'm sticking to the old Zoom. Easy and fast. I'm not trying to be Ted Templeton or anything here, just wanted to mess around and I was about to throw some serious cash towards this investment. I can't get a straight answer out of Dell, Avid, DUC, on anything at all. I'm all cool without PT for now. Maybe I'll jump back on the sidelines in a few months if and when they get thier poop together. It's amazing to me though. I thought the guys who wrote these programs, deisigned and built these comps, and ran these forums, did it for the cash. Learn something new everyday.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Honestly, I read your post but wasn't clear on what your question was (or questions were?). Like, you asked if you're going too big. Too big for what?

An i5 has plenty of power for PT. Loads. You could do huge mixes of audio tracks. But if you plan to run lots of heavy VIs at once, it might choke. It's all in what you plan to do with it.

Old Mini/new Mini? Not sure if you already have one or...? It's not clear how some of your stipulations are relevant. It's just not easy for us to figure out what you're trying to figure out.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Well, thanks for trying. I though it was clear I was looking to get that Sweetwater Mini deal. They are the old units. Sure, I could go ahead and get the newer unit for a little over $100 more, but I have no idea if they are garbage or what with the new preamps and converters. I was looking for input either way. I got a buddy in school right now getting PT certification. He said stay far away from the MBox. He said they are junk. I trust his words. I have played music with this guy for over 20 years and we lived together in college. He will give me the skinny on what he knows, but he is a Mac guy and has never even owned a PC. I'm a PC guy and have never owned a Mac. I just wanted to make sure I can use this stuff, rather than it sitting in the corner collecting dust. like the crappy BR-1600 I have now sitting in the corner. For the money it will take to get this up and running with a good set of stereo mics, I do not want it to be a brick in the corner. I can buy hookers and beer with the cash and I'll be fine. For what it's worth, if I ever need to record for real like, I can allways invite my bro over, I'll wait till he completes his certification, and let him record me. He seems to enjoy it anyway. It has worked fine like this for the past few years now, so why spend the money and heartache trying to find out if this will work or that will work? I got a cell phone and one touch I can have a whole set up on it's way to my house, free of charge.