Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM

Default How Do I Import Midi Files?

Hi, new here. I'm very new to Pro Tools. I 've been checking out video resourses for learning before I dive in. Pro Tools seems great. I've been using Sonar for a few years.

I record only audio and work with midi for my background tracks. Can pro Tools import whole midi files and distribute each instrument on its own track, automatically like Sonar?

How do I do this?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: How Do I Import Midi Files?

Yes. Go your File menu and select Import, then select MIDI. Locate the MID file you want to import and click on it within the dialog box. When the MIDI import options box pops, make the selections you want. Probably you'll just want to select "New Track" for destination. Then click OK. A Mid track will be created within PT for each track in the MID file. However, the only names you'll see in PT are MID-1, MID-2 etc. So, you'll have to route the MID track to play something you can hear to figure out which track is which, and then I'd recommend re-naming accordingly, then selecting the voices you want each to play from what ever midi gear (hardware or software) you're using to play the sounds on.

Hope that helps