Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2023, 06:43 AM

Default Is there a way to make HD Native a sound output in MacOS after Omni gets unplugged?

I'm on an Intel MacBook Pro with the Omni connected via thunderbolt adapter. When the cord gets unplugged on accident and replugged, the Output is no longer HD Native. It doesn't even show it. Turning on and off the Omni doesn't do anything so I have to restart the entire damn computer to get HD Native back as an output source. This has messed be up so many times when in the middle of a meeting and something happens that gets the Omni disconnected, so I have to restart but restarting takes forever for whatever reason. Please tell me there's a fix or shortcut to restart the service without restarting the whole computer.
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 10-25-2023, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to make HD Native a sound output in MacOS after Omni gets unplugge

Similar setup here, slightly newer MBPro.

I think losing the connection to your interface while PT is running will at least crash PT and possibly your entire machine. (Gotta keep the cat away from those TB cables!)

If I try to launch a session and have forgotten to power up the Omni, PT just yells at me and I have to quit the app, turn on the hardware and relaunch the session. But that one doesn't require me to reboot the machine.

What I have found is that sometimes after having worked on something and then quit PT, if hours later the MBPro goes to sleep, then the next time I launch that session it won't play and just throws an error. In that case I do need to restart the MBPro to get it all working properly.
TB Native + Omni at home
Apogee Duet 3 on the road
Old 10-25-2023, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to make HD Native a sound output in MacOS after Omni gets unplugge

I don’t have a HD Native Thunderbolt to play with (this will have nothing specific to do with the Omni).

This is not showing up as a choice in Pro Tools playback engine and Audio/MIDI setup right?

You can run through the standard HD driver tests seeing if the physical device shows up in macOS when reconnected (it should) and try force unloading/reloading the driver. See https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...ation-on-macOS
Old 10-25-2023, 10:01 PM

If the HD Native gets unplugged, when I plug it back in, the system doesn't see it as a sound output. Pro Tools may not either, but I'm not sure. But for sure MacOS doesn't see it and I have to restart the computer.

So I'm wondering if there's a way to restart whatever service gets restarted when I restart the computer, WITHOUT restarting the compuer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I don’t have a HD Native Thunderbolt to play with (this will have nothing specific to do with the Omni).

This is not showing up as a choice in Pro Tools playback engine and Audio/MIDI setup right?

You can run through the standard HD driver tests seeing if the physical device shows up in macOS when reconnected (it should) and try force unloading/reloading the driver. See https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...ation-on-macOS
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 10-25-2023, 10:48 PM

AvidAudioServer handles CoreAudio functionality. It is probably crashing when you unplug the interface.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 10-26-2023, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuret View Post
If the HD Native gets unplugged, when I plug it back in, the system doesn't see it as a sound output. Pro Tools may not either, but I'm not sure. But for sure MacOS doesn't see it and I have to restart the computer.

So I'm wondering if there's a way to restart whatever service gets restarted when I restart the computer, WITHOUT restarting the compuer.
Yes I understand the question you are asking. I pointed you at stuff to try... did you try any of that? Try unloading/reloading the driver?

As LDS said it may be the AvidAudioServer, you should be doing some debugging: if Pro Tools is also not seeing the interface then it's not just an AvidAudioServer problem (and you should definitely try the driver unload/reload).

You should be able to stop and restart AvidAudioServer:

launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.avid.AvidAudioServer.plist
launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.avid.AvidAudioServer.plist
Old 11-03-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yes I understand the question you are asking. I pointed you at stuff to try... did you try any of that? Try unloading/reloading the driver?

As LDS said it may be the AvidAudioServer, you should be doing some debugging: if Pro Tools is also not seeing the interface then it's not just an AvidAudioServer problem (and you should definitely try the driver unload/reload).

You should be able to stop and restart AvidAudioServer:

launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.avid.AvidAudioServer.plist
launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.avid.AvidAudioServer.plist
Ok, tried everything. Looked and see that the driver is loaded but the HD Native is still not recognized as existing. Thunderbolt 0 just says:

Quote:
Thunderbolt Bus 0:
Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
Device Name: MacBook Pro
Domain UUID: 5CFD3321-C94B-0354-8819-9AC129FDA2CC
and 1 says:

Quote:
Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
Device Name: MacBook Pro
UID: 0x00015A494C802101
Route String: 0
Firmware Version: 41.5
Domain UUID: 7C7B9466-1382-5350-8CCB-3418DE1F0E5A
Port:
Link Status: 0x101
Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1
Current Link Width: 0x1
Receptacle: 4
Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.39.0
Port:
Link Status: 0x101
Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1
Current Link Width: 0x1
Receptacle: 3
Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.39.0
The HD Native goes into a converter hub. It works because everything else works. But the HD Native only shows after a restart. Nothing I've done in terminal has worked. Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-2023, 07:52 AM

I'd suggest bypassing the hub and using an OEM Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor to plug your HD box directly into one of your MBPro ports. See if that allows your hardware and software to see it.
TB Native + Omni at home
Apogee Duet 3 on the road
Old 11-03-2023, 08:15 AM

Not being snarky, but this sounds like a case of "Doc, it hurts when I go like this". Doc says, "Don't got like this" Maybe some inexpensive cable management/hold down bits or a longer TB cable?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave