Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 12-01-2016, 08:21 AM

Default Techy Venue Parallel Comp/Delay Compensation Question for you experts

Hey all,

Working a festival this weekend which I believe either has a Profile or SC48 at FOH. I'm trying to spice up my show file with some parallel compression.

Been mixing the band's multi-tracks and I've gotten the best results from having a parallel Snare track, a parallel vocal track and a parallel Drum bus.

In my showfile I currently use Variable groups. Everything in my show is routed to one of 4 stereo groups I've set up, which are all outputed to the L/R. Nothing is routed to more than one group.

My routing for the parallel's is as follows:

I set up 1 mono (Snare Parallel) and 2 Stereo (Drum Parallel and Vocal Parallel) Aux (not group) channels.

I placed a plugin on the bus-out of all 3 of these aux channels. Which I then returned on a Channel Strip. I bussed the Snare Parallel track to the Drum Vari Group and the Vocal Parallel to the Vox Vari Group. However I bussed the Drum Parallel directly to the L/R (I didn't want to fight the dry drum comp)

I send my Snare top and Snare Bottom channels to the Snare Parallel Aux and the Drum Parallel Aux, and they are assigned to the Drum Variable Group. All my other Drums are sent to the Drum parallel Aux and outputted to the Drum Variable Group.

I have plugins inserted on all of my Variable Groups.

Now my issue here is obvs phasing. I've heard delay compensation won't help if there's double bussing. I think the only thing I'd technically be double bussing is my drum parallel (but would that issue be solved if I just set the output of that to the Drum Vari Group?). I have an align track set up. Was going to try and mess with this file a bit beforehand. But can you experts help me out if you see any obvious red flags?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Avid

Default Re: Techy Venue Parallel Comp/Delay Compensation Question for you experts

that's exactly what delay compensation IS for, managing things like this.

Robert did an awesome video explaining exactly what's compensated, and how to manage compensation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tyUGyP5aPQ

Generally if latency isn't an issue, it's simplest to take an unused channel and route it absolutely everywhere, (all auxes on, all groups on, and LR on), that will set the system to compensate for ALL of those parallel paths (since it's routed to LR also), this will also set the system to max latency.

[email protected]