Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 10-28-2013, 10:25 AM

Default New SC48 User - Tips on configuration

Hi everyone,
We just built a new church and we went from having a allen heath 24 channel analog board with speakers on sticks to SC48+JBl Vertec line arrays. Yes I am very excited.

I was wondering if you guys can tell me how to efficiently route some of these inputs.

Inputs: 8 vocal mics, full drum set, two stereo keys, acoustic, two electric, bass and of course other things like lavs, choir mic etc.

Our output sources:
  • Mains+Mono subs (L/R/C)
  • Aux 1-4 for Monitors
  • Aux 5-8 are free
  • Aux for stereo IEM mixes (9-12)
  • Aux for Efx (12-16)
  • 1 output for foyer (currently using a matrix fed from LR)
  • Aviom Mixer

Currently I have VCAs for Lead, Background vocals, drums, guitars, bass and keys. I am sure there's an more efficient way than that.

I have the mixer in variable group mode. I am using those to group drums and keys to save channels on the Aviom sends. Should I just use matrix for this?

So thats all my jacked up ways..is there a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Goal:
Feed foyer speakers.
Group channels to avioms which are not affected by the fader levels
Create some logical VCA assigments
Use matrix more efficiently.

Thank you!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Default Re: New SC48 User - Tips on configuration

I'm sure people who dig a lot deeper into the console will come in here and comment on your setup. As for your VCA's, I run FOH for a country act and we have 24 channels. I have VCA for drums, bass, el gts, lead acgt, keys, bgvx, and lead vox. I have been thinking of making snapshots so I can have the bgvx in a group instead of VCA so I can add overall compression and EQ. But they individually sing at points in the show so I just haven't yet. I can ride faders. Also I have my FXreturns on my final VCA so I can esially mute them without having to flip layers or make a function key.

As far as your sends to aviom, I would use groups like you are.

I would feed all the foyer speakers and any others you may have using the matrix.