Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-16-2018, 09:52 AM

Default video monitor management

One thing I would really love is to have the capability to manage video screens better. There are two things I'd like to do regularly which I can't:
  1. Have the control room monitor show slightly different information than the monitor on the ADR stage. My recordist really doesn't like to see the streamers on the screen as they distract from her view of sync. I could set up 3 monitors on the iMac, but as far as I can tell there's no way to duplicate put the video screen from Pro Tools on both of those without putting streamers on both of them. (And even that requires a splitter for the HDMI signal, not two different monitors in different thunderbolt/lightning ports.)
  2. Use only one monitor in the control room in the Foley control room with edit and video windows, but a monitor on the Foley stage with only the video. My Foley artist doesn't mind seeing a clone of my edit screen, but I don't like having the video window as big as she needs it. (The Foley stage doesn't have a full-time video monitor at present, but shares it with the control room which doubles as a sound design suite. We do have a monitor on another system in that room which we can move into the Foley stage, but it's harder to move than the one in the Foley control room.)

As far as I can tell, there's no feature in Pro Tools to do either of these things, so I'm wondering if there's a 3rd party app for it, something that could make a clone of the whole or a a segment of one monitor and can also have other apps on the 3rd (or 2nd) monitor as well. I haven't found anything in the App Store, but maybe I'm not using the right search terms. Some have suggested something comparable to Virtual VTR (not sure if that software still exists, but I know there is something), but I'm not sure it even does what I'm asking. And, of course, if Avid does have a feature I haven't found, I'm eager to hear about it as I always prefer to work without 3rd party apps and don't have any shelfware CPUs with Intel processors which would be required to run the modern versions of Virtual VTR.

TIA!
Old 07-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Default Re: video monitor management

Looks like https://splitscreenapp.com/pro.html could do #2 at least, but probably not #1.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:58 AM

I use 3 monitors: edit/mix/picture playback. I don't do much ADR, but I suppose I could split the pic screen, and send that signal to a booth monitor.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 07-16-2018, 11:20 AM

Yeah, that's what we're doing now, except with only two video outputs, one split.

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2018, 11:32 AM

So what's the issue then? I'm confused ...

My 3rd monitor can display video playback and nothing else, i.e. mon 1 = edit, mon 2 = mix, mon 3 = pic. (If I needed to, I could simply) split the mon 3 signal to a booth monitor.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 07-16-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:09 PM

Two things:
1. Getting two different images on the currently split monitor with the project video on both.
2. Getting a single (unsplit) monitor to show a portion of the primary monitor.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:20 PM

Have you tried Videoslave? https://non-lethal-applications.com/.../video-slave-3

It's a REALLY deep program, but has the ability for you to choose what you see on what monitor (as long as they are all separately connected) So, streamers to booth, but not on Main, etc...
Old 07-17-2018, 01:57 PM

That sounds like exactly the ticket. Thanks. I'll check it out.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfaudio View Post
Just at first glance I think this is tree VirtualVTR-like application I've heard about. I hadn't realized it was so powerful. I've been told it runs best on an independent computer rather than the same machine that's running Pro Toils. Is that your experience with it, too?

Old 07-17-2018, 04:35 PM

Nope, I run it on the same Mac Pro as pro tools. I prefer running mxf video within PT for simplicity’s sake, but when doing a vo session I’m often working with client supplied QT. One clients QT just would not play stably within PT, but once loaded into video slave everything ran as smooth as silk, and the overlays are great.

I run an Aja card for playback, but it has options for desktop monitors as well.

The demo runs fully featured but with watermark, so you can really test it out, and Flo, the developer is super responsive to any questions