Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 AM

Default Improve the acoustic sound of a double bass

Well, this is not a specific PT-question, but I believe the sharpest knives in audio engineering join this forum...so it'll be the right place for a pure sound advice

I've been recording a jazz trio/quartet now an then. The first session a year ago was "just a quick demo", so I went for an easy setup. The recent sessions are meant to be used for a CD release. But when we listen back to that "demo", we absolutely will use that stuff together with the newer recordings. It's good stuff, except that I just used the double bass' internal piezo mike then - and not with an additional condenser as the latest sessions. It sounds ok (a bit dry/flat) until I compare with the new piezo/AKG C-451EB recording.... Hmmm.

So: Is there a way to recreate some of that space this mike gives out of the piezo-only track? (re-amping, eq, ER reverb...). This piezo (don't know the brand) is quite representative from bottom to top, so I have a good spectrum to play with. For the later recordings I use the piezo for mid/top, and the mike for mid/bottom (nothing above 2k because of drum leakage).

Any tips for improvement? I regret as h"#$ that I chose that easy route with the "demo" (not demo anymore)... You never know.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 PM

My 2 cents is to try reamping it. I've had great success with that. If you haven't done that before, go ahead and e-mail me at http://www.goldrecordings.com. Good luck and I hope that gets you what you want.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:36 AM

Thanks Scott. You got mail!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Got it,

thanks, it's on the way! Good Luck!!!!