Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Replacing snare

Hey guys, I want to replace a the snare in a couple of tracks of a session. What I have been doing is using strip silence to get the actual attack, which means every hit is a seperate file. This means I have to rename EVERY file to say "Snare" so I can replace all the hits with a sample Im using. Is there a way I can rename all the files in ONE step? Im sick of having to rename every single file. Or is there an easier way to do this altogether? It would be a HUGE help and time saver if someone can chime in ASAP. Thanks in advance
HD| 2 TDM 6.7
Old 06-15-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Replacing snare

Sound Replacer...

I do the strip silence and then use sound replacer to put the samples in place of all of the files. you can highlight the whole track and use sound replacer to replace each one all at once.
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24
Old 06-16-2005, 12:55 AM

I dont have sound replacer.... Any other ways? Or does someone want to give me Sound Replace?
HD| 2 TDM 6.7
Old 06-16-2005, 01:18 AM

Hi,

Drummagog, download the demo, follow the link from the download/plugins and updates etc, reasonable priced as well!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:25 AM

this is what i do.

import your sample on a seperate track (if more that one sample, make an edit group). line it up by hand "phase accurately" with the original hits. use the gain audio suite tool to put a bit of life into the rolls by taking down the volume of the lighter hit snares (avoid that machine gun snare!!!). if you have your zoom set up well you can just click 3 - opt click drag the snare - hit 5- line up the phase, done. a 4 min song at about 120 bpm should take about 1 hour to do this way... not long for a song your working on for air play, but too long for "one day EP" demos. its good for an ear brake between tracking and mixing.

sound replacer is more trouble than its worth. it is too sloppy and you spend more time fixing up the mess than if you do it by hand from the start!!!

good luck, and for best results use a few snares and mix them together!!! one for crack, one for wood, one for rattle or under snare, one for boddy, one for tail etc. my record is 7 snares!!! but it sounds just like one "super snare" but make sure the phase is sorted out, and then lock them with the edit group... and eq cut out the bits of each snare you dont want...

its fun trust me

trent
Old 06-16-2005, 01:39 AM

Quote:
sound replacer is more trouble than its worth. it is too sloppy and you spend more time fixing up the mess than if you do it by hand from the start!!!

You got to be kidding, right?! Soundreplacer is one of the reasons I have protools in the first place. This is the ONE plugin I would choose if I only could have one in my plugin folder! Have you tried tweeking it and setting the gains up poperly?

BR Tubz
Old 06-16-2005, 04:18 AM

I prefer using sound replacer myself but a good tip I found through here is to create your track for the sample. Place it above the snare track and group the two tracks together. Put the sample snare into your clipboard then you can very quickly just go through the track tabbing to transient and pasting. The tab to transient will look at the snare you want to replace and the paste will put the sampled snare on the top track of the group.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:26 AM

[/QUOTE]Have you tried tweeking it and setting the gains up poperly?

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...I've been using Soundreplacer for a while now, and sometimes it works really well, and other times it's a nightmare. Your statement above suggests there may be something I'm not doing right...could you elaborate? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2005, 06:37 AM

Would someone please elaborate on the use of "strip silence" in this process?

thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Would someone please elaborate on the use of "strip silence" in this process?
In PT 5.1.1 i am desperately searching for this function - i found the 'Strip Silence' window but not the via manual describedn 'identify silence' command.