Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 07-18-2017, 06:52 PM

Default MIDI Suddenly gone - at wits end

Need some help! My MIDI is suddenly not there.

Specifics:
I use a Yahama Motif XS8 connected to my PC via Firewire as my main MIDI keyboard. Normally I can use the Motif to play all my VIs and/or record any MIDI track in PT I want. Sync works fine too.

Now, for no reason I can fathom, I can NOT get the Motif to talk to Pro Tools. I removed and re-created the Motif connection in the MIDI studio.
Updated the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver. Checked that all my Firewire cable and connections were good at both ends.

Turned everything off and back on three times. Its like the Motif isn't there. Nothing on the Motif indicates there's a thing wrong with the FW MIDI. PT shows the Motif as MIDI IN and MIDI OUT in the MIDI studio, and as MIDI input/output options on a MIDI track. Nothing indicates there's anything wrong. But if I record arm a MIDI or Instrument track to play a VI...there's no MIDI signal whatsoever.

I'm at my wits end on what to do as I'm under deadline to complete a scoring project for a documentary.

Any suggestions as to why I should look for?

My system specs are below.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:02 PM

Default Re: MIDI Suddenly gone - at wits end

Trash prefs?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:40 PM

Well, this gets weirder. Apparently it has something to do with the video. I opened a different session after rebooting everything and it's all fine. But the video session I'm working on somehow is blocking the MIDI and the video won't play. So, I'm going to take this to the video post group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Well its an ongoing issuel

I don’t know if this is a Driver issue, a Win-10 issue or something with my DAW, which is Pro Tools 12.7. Earlier this summer I upgraded my system to Win-10 from Win-7. I’ve experienced all sorts of technical issues with my system since.
The latest is that my MIDI connection between the Motif XS and Pro Tools doesn’t work 80% of the time. Here’s the details:
My Motif is connected to my PC via Firewire. I’ve used the Motif as my main MIDI keyboard for years this way, with Pro Tools, with virtually no issues. FW always works to play and record MIDI tracks and/or VIs.
When I upgraded to Win-10, I made sure I had the latest FW driver for Win-10, which is 1.6.64 as far as I can tell.
Sometmes I have to reboot my PC 2-3 times before the MIDI is live. I test it by opening the Motif Editor. If I’m able to use the editor with the FW connection, then it usually works when I open a PT session. But not always.
However, sometimes, I can’t even get the editor to recognize the Motif is there, and I have to reboot the PC...OR...worse, uninstall and reinstall the driver!
This is ridiculous. I have no idea even where to begin to resolve this. Can someone shed some light here for me? If there’s a more recent version of the driver, I can’t find it.
Before anyone asks, yes, I’ve checked and rechecked the MIDI settings on the Motif and it is correct. And I’ve done the same in Pro Tools with the MIDI Studio settings there. That is NOT the problem.

I just don't know if its Win-10, the Yamaha-Steinberg Firewire driver, or something in Pro Tools.

Do I need to update something else? The USB MIDI Driver? I just don’t know what to look for. Thank you