Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 PM

Default Dual monitor setup question

Hello,

I have a dual monitor setup and whenever I start a session I like to put the edit window on one monitor in the mix window on the other. I'd like to be able to save this window set up so when I open up the session next time I don't have to rearrange the windows. I tried using window configurations under the menu but that doesn't work. I looked this up online but nothing that's been posted has worked so far and it seems to be for Windows, I'm on a Mac. PT11 HD native. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06-06-2014, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Dual monitor setup question

Hi Dave,

I hope I'm addressing the correct problem.
I have a couple of the same setup.
Once you configure your windows to the way you like, they will open up again that way after a save.
When you are initially opening a session, it will default to the two windows on top of one another or, to the last state it was saved in.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think you can make it open up to your dual monitor pref without a save.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Hi booker,

Thanks for the reply. Even after saving the window configuration it still doesn't open the session with the correct placement on the dual monitors. I seem to remember it working before (maybe in PT10) but I could be wrong. Seems like there's gotta be a way to do it, but I cant figure it out. I've tried saving the session and the window configuration in the drop down menu but still no dice!
Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
Hi booker,

Thanks for the reply. Even after saving the window configuration it still doesn't open the session with the correct placement on the dual monitors. I seem to remember it working before (maybe in PT10) but I could be wrong. Seems like there's gotta be a way to do it, but I cant figure it out. I've tried saving the session and the window configuration in the drop down menu but still no dice!
I've been running a two monitor setup for years and it always opens back up the same way it was saved. Now, my assistant only has one monitor in his setup, so if he was the last to work on a session (on his rig) and then I get it after that, it will open with one window on top of the other and I'll have to drag back into my two-monitor layout.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:34 AM

Window configs work here.
My templates have a single-start and 2 different 2-3 monitor starts depending on which studio I'm at.
i.e. to recall: .1* (1 Mon) .2* (2 Mon) .3* (3 Mon)
This also sets the top layout (Edit Window header) which resets after a crash.

Worth noting is the window alignment/recall differs from V-11 to V-10
Old 06-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Hmmm, well all the other configurations save correctly except that the edit and mix window are on top of each other when opening the session instead of being arranged on the separate monitors. I also tried creating a new template and it still doesn't place them on separate monitors.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, well all the other configurations save correctly except that the edit and mix window are on top of each other when opening the session instead of being arranged on the separate monitors. I also tried creating a new template and it still doesn't place them on separate monitors.
Same here since PT 11. In PT9 & 10 it worked correct !
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 06-12-2014, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Works fine here (using PT11.1.3, OSX10.9.3, Apple TB Display, and latest and greatest MBP). Sessions recall window positions perfectly.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 AM

FWIW... PT 11.1.3 and OS 10.9.3.... session saves windows positions...
Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Hello,

I have a dual monitor setup and whenever I start a session I like to put the edit window on one monitor in the mix window on the other. I'd like to be able to save this window set up so when I open up the session next time I don't have to rearrange the windows. I tried using window configurations under the menu but that doesn't work. I looked this up online but nothing that's been posted has worked so far and it seems to be for Windows, I'm on a Mac. PT11 HD native. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Try Exiting Pro Tools using ALT+F4.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com