Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 08:03 PM

Default incorporating analong mixer with 002 rack ???

alright here is my story....

( in a nut shell - running out of inputs )

the biggest problem is with recording drums...

the 002rack only has 4 pre amped inputs as u all know, and 4 regular direct ones u call it i guess...

i got kick, snare , overhead 1, and over head 2 on channels 1-4 ( pre amped )

and now i want to mic the toms.... but i really have no control over gain.... when i record the leval is just so low that when i raise then gain in pro tools its just all fuzz most the time.... pain in the ass.

bassicly what i wanna know is how many of you use a anolog mixer with an 002 in pro tools and how it would work exactly...

if i think this right that means that you hook up lets say all 8 drum mics to whatever mixer.... and take a line out of the mixer in to the digi 002...... BUT , you cant do any digital editing after that.... like... its all going to record in pro tools as one track correct ? so you have to make sure that you have everything levaled out right and compressed and stuff BEFORE you hit the record button? im sorta confused about all this..

ps. is there a like an digital expander for the digi002 that will give me more inputs ( pre amped with controls )

-alec
Old 10-22-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: incorporating analong mixer with 002 rack ???

This is an easy fix and can be done 2 ways. If you have an analog mixer already, and it has insert jacks, you can plug an unbalanced cable in one notch and it will act as a direct out so you can run 4 mic pres from your mixer into the line inputs of the 002 on channels 5 thru 8. A better fix is to buy a Digimax LT or similar. It is an 8 channel mic pre that plugs directly into the DIGI 002 lightpipe input and is ideal for adding 8 channels for micing drums. The general consensus seems to be the Digimax and Digimax LT models are slightly more preferred over the Focurite Octopre(w/lightpipe option). If you want superior quality, you could go with something like a pair of Focusrite ISA428 quad pres with a digital out card but it would cost you near 3 grand where the other options are a grand or less. I think the LT is $699. Or you could buy a pair of FMR RNP (really nice pre) mic pre's and jack them into 5 thru 8. There's a few options with the Digimax LT probably being the best choice. Just remember to set your 002 to sync to ADAT if you add inputs via lightpipe.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-23-2004, 06:17 AM

is the Digimax LT an EXTRA 8 inputs... or does it act like a mixer sorta of and just plug into ch 5-8 ( but thats only four )....
Old 10-24-2004, 10:39 AM

Quote:
is the Digimax LT an EXTRA 8 inputs... or does it act like a mixer sorta of and just plug into ch 5-8 ( but thats only four )....
You didn't follow albee1952 's advice from his post...The Digimax LT will give you an additional 8 line level inputs already converted to digital and it will appear on the ADAT Optical IN port of your 002 !
So...you'll have 4 mics in on the 002's 1>4 inputs AND 8 more from the Didimax LT. That is 12 individual channels showing up in PT.
Any more Questions ??

good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 10-24-2004, 11:18 AM

Go to my site and go to the HELP section. I still have the old diagrams up of my original configuration that should help you out. It has since changed drastically, but I still have that up for help.

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"