Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2011, 09:26 AM

Angry MBox2 Mini: ASIO Troubles with Win7 64bit!!

Hey there!!

I recently bought Protools 9 to use my Mackie Onyx 1640i for tracking and mixing, and have big problems to even get Protools 9 started without "..device not found.."-Errors...horrible, but i started another thread for that problem....

Now, i tried to work with Ableton Live 8 with my Mbox2 Mini and installed the latest drivers,as found on avid.com/drivers

But there is no chance to get this running with ASIO!! When i select ASIO-Audiodriver in Ableton, the whole machine becomes very slow, and when i click on Test Signal or change buffersize or even try to playback something in Ableton, it hangs and/or doesnt play audio!!

Only solution is to use DirectX/MME drivers, but latency is odd.....

DIGIDESIGN/AVID, PLEASE UPDATE YOUR ASIO-COMPATIBILITY, this is horrible!!!!

I´m sure it has something to do with THEIR drivers, because when i plugin my old Edirol UA25EX everything works smooth, and when i use my mackie Onyx1640i in other programs, like Ableton, Sonar, Cubase or Wavelab, there are no problems!!!!

Are there any solutions or workarounds for now, or do we really have to wait for an update??? i tried reinstalling the drivers & protools a few times, but its always the same!!

My specs:
Dell Studio 1749
i5 M520
4GB RAM
Win7 64bit
Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 AM

Default Re: MBox2 Mini: ASIO Troubles with Win7 64bit!!

I had the same problems as you, I think it is their drivers, either that or the Mbox2 Mini just plain sucks... The only program that it seems to work well with is REAPER...
Let me know if you find a fix mate, 'cuz if no-one finds a fix soon i'mmah be selling my Mbox lol

Good luck!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 AM

Which driver are you using? It seems to me that you should be using the driver that came with PT9 or the latest one from their site. I remember having some issues on an earlier PT install with ASIO driver on Mbox Mini. If I remember correctly, I went into Device mamager and unistalled the Mini. Then I went into the Program manager and deleted the software associated with the Mini (in my case, AVID Mbox 2 USB drivers). Rebooted system. Device manager reported unknown device (Mini). Reinstalled driver from PT9 driver disk. Worked fine. I believe that just reinstalling the driver may not be enough. There may be some software from a previous install that is giving problems but is not overwritten by the driver installer. I believe that unistalling the device coupled with unistalling the software flushes the system properly.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 AM

@SpardaUK: i will post it if i get it to work :) my current solution is simple ---> use another interface,maybe from friends.... i plan buying another edirol/cakewalk if i dont get it to work proberly.....

@vonglahnpg: i´m using the latest pt9 drivers, and i tried to manually remove the driver files....also tried the automatics, but no matter what i try, it doesnt work....
Old 02-17-2011, 10:32 AM

You really need to use the uninstall utility on the control panel - driver installs may well add stuff beyond what you think they do, so removing the driver files manually not enough. Uninstalling the device does some of this, but not enough. And you need to do a cold reboot (shut down to dead and restart) after removing stuff - some things get loaded into memory at boot time and don't go always go away when you delete the files or reload new ones.

Also, try installing on a different machine. I had a lot of trouble getting a M-Audio ProFire 610 working. Even changed firewire cards. Then i tried a second machine. Still no go - turned out to be a bad firewire cable. Who woulda thunk?

Finally, make sure that the Mini shows up in Device Manager before you even bother with anything that uses it. On my system (Win 7 32bit), it shows up under the Sound, Video, and game controller tab as two entries: Digidesign Mbox2 Mini Audio and Digidesign Mbos 2 Mini MIDI. If it is not there, no application will work with it. If it is there, right click on one of the entries and make sure that it is using a Digidesign driver.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:16 AM

OK i will give it another try, and do like you said and post the results later!

For now, the Mbox runs smooth with "normal" programs, like winamp,VLC, firefox (videos and streams etc.), even games run fine!

But once you try to use the ASIO-Driver, like in Ableton, it crashes...

Can you check the Version-Information of the mbox2-driver in your device-manager? I get a 8.0.4...something-number, and always wondered why there is no 9.0.1.x.x or something?!
Old 02-18-2011, 11:40 AM

I have the same version numbers - the mbox driver is not related to PT so the fact that the current version is #8 probably has nothing to do with PT8.

I just tested my Mini using both Pro Tools 9 (on both I7-32 and I7-64 machines) and Mackie's Tracktion 3 (on an I7-64 machine). Tracktion uses ASIO audio I/O. I selected "ASIO Digidesign Driver Mbox2" from the list of available interfaces and it worked just fine. I also noted that the Mbox was selected as the default audio recording and playback device in the Windows Sound control panel applet.

There was a separate "ASIO Digidesign Driver" device listed in Tracktion, but selecting that one gave me a device-not-found error.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 AM

Having the exact same problem. Oddly enough, the Reaper demo works fine in ASIO. Just not in...well...anything else.

I have both an Mbox 2 mini and a new Mbox Mini, and neither of them work right with other ASIO apps on my Windows laptop. Don't want to install Windows on my iMac to test.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:13 AM

In the meantime, has anyone got Ableton Live working with Mbox2 Mini??

I´m still having troubles and cant get it to work proberly....