Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2017, 03:40 PM

Default Midi Playback Issue

I have a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 midi keyboard that I use to trigger a external Yamaha Motif Rack. I believe everything is or at least should be setup properly in pro tools but I'm having an error with midi playback.

Here is my list of things that I am able to do.
================================
1. I can perform, record, and playback midi in pro tools as it shows what I play on my Kontrol.

2. I can trigger my motif rack using my Kontrol and record my motif's output.

3. I can trigger my motif using my recorded midi track in pro tools as I can visually see my motif acknowledging it's receiving the midi data from pro tools.

My problem is upon playback of midi data from pro tools I am not getting any sound output from the Motif in pro tools. My interface's meters show that it is supposedly receiving signal but nothing is visible or audible in pro tools but as soon as I touch a note on my Kontrol I get sound output. Whats weird is that if I stop playback immediately I get a quick sound of whatever note I stopped playback on.

Hopefully what I have said makes sense.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Midi Playback Issue

What kind of track are you using to bring the Motif audio back into the computer - aux or audio track? It sounds like you're using an audio track. Bring the audio in on an aux track and then either bus or send the audio to an audio track to record that.

QAPLA!
Old 03-03-2017, 07:22 PM

I was using an audio track, but I don't understand why using an aux would exactly fix the issue as if I record and play the motif live it will act fine but if I'm playing back a pre-made or recorded midi track to trigger the motif it doesn't properly work. I will try your suggestion and get back to you with the results.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:42 AM

As I figured bussing the audio to an aux didn't fix it, it still did the same thing, in fact it caused a weird effect, it caused my synth to sound as if it was being side chained to a kick as it creates a sort of pumping sound.

EDIT: It's not my Motif as it does the same thing with other synths in my rack, so it seems to be a pro tools specific issue.

I'm wondering if pro tools is double triggering my synth which on the second time around when it goes to trigger the same note a second time it's muting it? because as soon as I stop playback I get sound from whatever the last note was.

Last edited by imgarrett; 03-04-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgarrett View Post
As I figured bussing the audio to an aux didn't fix it, it still did the same thing, in fact it caused a weird effect, it caused my synth to sound as if it was being side chained to a kick as it creates a sort of pumping sound.

EDIT: It's not my Motif as it does the same thing with other synths in my rack, so it seems to be a pro tools specific issue.

I'm wondering if pro tools is double triggering my synth which on the second time around when it goes to trigger the same note a second time it's muting it? because as soon as I stop playback I get sound from whatever the last note was.
You're totally misunderstanding what I wrote. You bring the audio into PT on an Aux track and then buss or send to an audio track to record that. But no matter the routing you shouldn't be getting any kind of pumping sound unless you have two tracks triggering the outboard synth. Make sure you have 'local off' selected in the Motif and other outboard synths. That way both PT and the Motif keyboard won't trigger MIDI.

QAPLA!