How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 AM

Default io issues with tools9 and motu 8pre

Hello,

I've just come over to a new macbook pro with protools 9 and a motu 8pre.
I'm having trouble with a couple of things and was hoping to tap into the DUC!

Issue 1:
Record playback. I can get a series of mics working and recording fine and playing back, but I can't work out how to take already recorded audio and send it to my headphones and not the speakers when I attempt to record an overdub.
I'm sure it's a routing issue but I'm getting a bit confused...

Issue 2:
Mute/solo buttons don't seem to be working - I can't work out what's going on here. The additional issue in the mix window, sometimes all faders will move when I just need to move one.

I guess these are pretty rudimentary questions for you experienced tools users, any help is much appreciated!

Thanks
Old 08-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Cool Re: io issues with tools9 and motu 8pre

Hi - Issue 2 has been sorted no worries. Operator error.

Issue 1 though - in regards to overdubbing and click track - i can't route to the headphones and not the monitors - I've changed the main outs on the relevant mixer strips and done the same on cuemix - still goes straight out the monitors..
Old 08-28-2011, 03:45 PM

The main issue with the motu 8pre is that it only has two analogue outputs.

The traveler and 828 have several different internal busses like phones etc. Are you able to assign a cuemix to phones 1-2 and then assign the headphones to pick this up in the motu setup software, not cuemix?

---
- Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2011, 08:59 PM

Thumbs up Re: io issues with tools9 and motu 8pre

Thanks for that Doug -yep, I did weigh up the output(s) v price issue before buying, it's the only thing to my mind that lets the unit down. It would at least have been cool if they'd stuck a pair of xlr outs somewhere to help keep te signal path strong, but that's the only whinge, everything else about it is lovely.

I updated to the latest version of Cuemix and had a look at your suggestions and voila! All is good. I worked back through the signal path in tools and cuemix and had a play around. It was confusing initially because there are two pieces of software assigning signal paths so I wasn't sure if the tail was wagging the dog... (Confusing perhaps for muppets like me who take a little while to absorb new info )

Thanks for getting back to me and thanks to everyone who contributes to this site - I've literally spent hours trawling over the past couple of days to get all the good oil - it has been invaluable.
Cheers