Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2024, 04:20 PM

Default 1) AVID Account - My Products 2) Which macOS?

Things look a bit awry in my Account Product section for Pro Tools Ultimate. It is missing the plugins down load, which used to be there. I know my support has lapsed but I am licensed up to 2023.09 and Pro Tools is there, and I expected the supporting plugins to still be listed as well.

I dug around in the general download center and I think I gathered what I need to test a new Mac Studio M1 Ultra but found it strange that the Products section has changed with things missing.

Also, to me it is a bit of a PITA installing all the plugin bundles separately, when Avid could easily have one single installer for all Avid Plugins. AVID Link only showed one Plugin for me (I think it was Compressor Pro) as being available for my account, so not sure what is going on there either.

I am trying to decide on if I should start out on Monterey, Ventura or Sonoma so anything that streamlines the installation time is appreciated, which I am sure you all with agree. I have a volume for each on the Mac Studio drive and will do the same Pro Tools/Waves installation on all. It has been about 2-3 years since I have done an install from scratch and was expecting things to be further along and smoother, expecting Avid Link to work. Hey, maybe it’s me but it should be easy and I am not a complete idiot.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on with the My Products sections?

Any thoughts on which macOS to start with on an m1 Ultra Studio? My thinking is go with the latest I can, as long as there are no real issues, so I can avoid having to upgrade the OS at a later date. . . I hate updating, because it is a time eater with issues that can arise.

I started with Sonoma and built a test session that I thought would kill it, but it ran overnight playing existing tracks, recording, lots of plugins, etc. . . with no issues, and only a 32 buffer. I have been at this a lot of years, and Apple Silicon is the biggest single leap in performance I have experienced by far.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:30 PM

Default Re: 1) AVID Account - My Products 2) Which macOS?

What exact supported plugins? The plugins included from Avid Complete Plugin Bundle are part of a subscription you get while your update/support plan is active. The subscription expires when your update/support plan expires. What plugins are subscriptions should be obvious from the subscription licenses in your iLok account. Or see my Pro Tools plugin spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Agi3ENOBs/edit

How often do you think you need to resinstall plugins? While the many small installers might be a pain if you are organized and deal with it it's not too hard. Sure better than hoping Avid Link might get stuff correct. And if you rely on Avid Link, after years of warning about it here, you deserve any of the mess it creates.

I would be on the latest macOS version possible. Test it and see it works OK for you.

Make sure you have all plugins from all vendors updated with versions that are Apple Silicon native. Running plugin reports in Pete Gates PT Prefs 2 will show you any installed plugins that are Intel (aka "x64") only.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:47 PM

Hi Darryl

Thanks for the post.

The download of the AVID complete plugins is no longer on my product page and in fact there are no AVID Plugin downloads there now. i believe it used to all be there. I did find it in the Avid Download center, but why would it be removed from the View My Products area when I still have a license to use. The way I look at it, the support has lapsed, but I am still licensed for the products that were developed up until that point in time and can continue to use etc. . . so why should they disappear?

I was not aware AVID Link was a mess. It is sure nice when installers have all Plugins and just let the user check off the ones needed, or all. Big time saver with less hunting around etc. . .

I am up and running, just thought it was convoluted.

I'll look at your post closer later. . . just running out and on tour at the moment.

Thanks. . .

Last edited by Howardk; 04-04-2024 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:53 PM

I just had a quick look at your spreadsheet. . . you've done a lot of work on this! Thanks for sharing. . .
Old 04-04-2024, 10:42 PM

As I said, you are *not* licensed for all plugins once your subscription to them expires. You have a perpetual license to Pro Tools and some plugins, but not all plugins, the rest are subscriptions. I assume Avid removes stuff it thinks you no longer have a subscription for. I doubt they get that right in all cases. Again all should be clear from my spreadsheet or in large part by looking at which of your plugin licenses are subscriptions.

As many longtime users do, you may also own some of those ACPB plugin subscription licenses as perpetual licenses, from past purchases or promotions. Again you need to look at the licenses actually in your iLok account/activated to use.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Make sure you have all plugins from all vendors updated with versions that are Apple Silicon native. Running plugin reports in Pete Gates PT Prefs 2 will show you any installed plugins that are Intel (aka "x64") only.
I was unaware of the "Pete Gates PT Prefs 2" update. Very cool. Thanks. . .
Old 04-13-2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Or see my Pro Tools plugin spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Agi3ENOBs/edit
Just an note, Vari-Fi is not AudioSuite only, the sheet needs a little update
Old 04-13-2024, 12:37 AM

Quote:
You have a perpetual license to Pro Tools and some plugins, but not all plugins
This is such a bad decision from Avid or STG,
which DAW wants to charge more for stock plugins (or worse, subscription)
yes, today, there are far better version of all those pugins, so they are all stock plugins today

STG needs include all with a Perpertual License