Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Windows

Old 12-26-2015, 02:44 PM

Default I'm unable to hear the imported MP3 through my headphones

Hey guys, I'm new here! I'm working my way through Pro Tools Express and there's one thing that I can't figure out for myself. All I would like to do is record my own vocals to standard backing tracks that are imported into Pro Tools Express. There's only one thing, the recorded vocals and the backing track are playing through the speakers on my computer instead of playing through my headphones. Is there something that I need to do in order to change the signal because I can't go any further at the moment. I've had a look on the internet but I can't find anything too specific. Any help is much appreciated!!
Old 12-26-2015, 02:53 PM

Default Re: I'm unable to hear the imported MP3 through my headphones

What exact model MAudio interface do you have? And what exact make/model headphones? And while we are there what make/model speakers/monitors?

The speakers/monitors you normally use are connected to the sound card in your computer or to the M Audio interface? (what exact model).

I don't think Pro Tools 10 Express can select an alternate playback engine so I'm not sure how monitors connected to the computer could ever work.

What exact version of Pro Tools do you have? (check the about info..).
Old 12-26-2015, 03:06 PM

Hi Darryl,

The model of the M-Audio Interface is M-Track (if that makes sense). The headphones are a piece of equipment that came with everything else, in which they're simply called M-Audio Studio Headphones.

There's no monitors or speakers as such because I'm using my laptop - I'm trying to get the recording and the backing track to play through my headphones (everything is plugged in correctly through the interface).

I'm trying to give as much info as possible but that's it really??
Old 12-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Josh

Thanks. Well I'm not sure what is going on. If the MTrack is connected to the computer and you start up Pro Tools 10 Express the audio should go out the interface monitor out ports and not the laptop's built in speakers. Solve that and you'll also solve your headphone issue, yes even if you don't have dedicated monitors to listen on.

Can you post a screenshot of the playback engine dialog (under the Setup menu in Pro Tools).

Did you install the device driver for your interface? Check on M-Audio's support web site that you have the latest one installed for your Windows OS version.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:54 PM

Thank you for your reply Darryl!

I've pasted a link to the screenshot for Pro Tools Express.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/714e18454631503

Yeah, exactly. I don't know why the signal isn't going back into the headphones; It must be something really stupid that I'm missing out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (18.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-27-2015, 07:47 AM

My message didn't send back to you?
Old 12-27-2015, 08:15 AM

You can just post images here, without using spammy external image hosting sites. But from that image... You have ASIO4ALL as the playback engine. You should have your interface as the playback engine. Did you ever install the drivers for it? Go get them now from the M-Audio support web site, the latest drivers for your OS version. Install them and see if Pro Tools Express then uses that playback engine. You might need to uninstall ASIO4ALL.

Without ASIO4ALL you will not get audio out the laptop built in speakers, but you probably do not want to be mixing on those and the native ASIO driver for the interface should be more stable/better performing than ASIO4ALL.