Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Strange noises coming from Adam Audio A7X studio monitors

I'm not sure about the warranty period. Probably a year. I just want to get a replacement that doesn't have the problem to start with a clean slate...
Old 03-08-2018, 06:12 PM

The more I listen to the sound and the more I think about it, along with drawing on my electronics knowledge the more I think it's in the amps in the Adam's. Guessing here but I'd bet it's a capacitor or two that's not up to snuff. Another possibility is a defective solder job. These speakers have been around too long to have this kind of defect in repeated units.

What I would worry about is if one just lets this problem go is getting a full scale blast of sound and at the levels these can put out... Let's just say the ear pain wouldn't be easy to deal with.

QAPLA!
Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 PM

Yeah, that wouldn't be good. If I (or they) knew what the problem was and could say, "Oh that's just <this thing>, nothing that will affect performance over the long run." or whatever I'd probably be okay with it, since they sound fine (great, actually) when playing audio... But the not knowing makes me nervous about some bigger problem down the road.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:22 PM

Hey,

Sorry I was late to the party but as I saw this thread today (swedish time) I went over to a studio complex here in Stockholm where they have several rooms with Adam tech I fired up a 5.1 surround with A7X and A8X and the sound was clear and "shimmery" as it ahould.

Another room has two Adam A7X and low and behold they had the exact same issues with ... wait for it .... 2 yes 2 pairs bought new and after hassling both the dealer and Adam they got a second pair which had the same issue so they said that if this wasn't resolved quickly they would report this to europes version of the Better Business Bureux so they got a third pair which were as they should after all that.

The guys here said that Adam was pretty unhelpful in "fessing up" there might have been a batch of bad units but the dealer here who is the biggest in sweden with Avid resellers aswell took a really close look at the first and second pair before sending them back and said their techs found the transformer and the amplifiers were hissing and made the sound you describe all day so I would not lay down and take that as there is something wrong. The last pair they recived had none of that and has been working great for a year now.

Let me know if you need further assistance and who at Adam was the lead guy for their swaps.

FWIW we had a pair of A8X we sold off a year and a half ago and they pulled their weight in one of our midi rooms without anything like your problems so they should not sound like that at all.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-09-2018, 05:04 PM

Wow, good to know - thanks Southsidemusic! So maybe it was a bad batch. Hopefully the next replacement I receive will be a winner...

Brian
Old 03-10-2018, 12:35 PM

I have the Adam a77x same problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin90 View Post
I have the Adam a77x same problem
Oh really, with the A77X too! Bugger. Melvin90, when did you buy your A77X's? Did you pursue a replacement or repair, or are you just not bothered enough by it?

Brian
Old 05-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Hi Everyone,

Oh boy! I'm really glad, but at the same time, now quite sad to have found this post. One of my A7X's has been doing this exact same noise sweep thing on boot up since the day I bought them 6 or so months ago. I have just been trying my hardest to ignore it hoping that it'll eventually just be a "new product settling" thing.

I was convincing myself it would be something inherent in the design, and wouldn't need following up. Also dismissing it as "something to look into" due to my perceived quality bias of Adam Audio in general. I studied (and saved for) this purchase for a year, then eventually sat for a 2 whole days at a retail store doing listening tests on so many different speakers before buying these. The store couldn't wait to get rid of me after finally buying. Also of course, the retailer was doing their hardest to convince me that the quality and warranty was second to none, IF by chance the almost impossible problem should EVER arise. Ha!

But 3 days ago the ascending/descending hash went on for WAY too long, and it started to bother me greatly. It was then that I knew the sound would most likely turn never go away, and more than likely turn into a failure the day after the warranty expires. That seems to be my luck with gear.
I decided I'd better do a quick search this morning to first see if there have been any other people having similar issues. Low and behold, this post pops up. Dang!!

I should mention, I've also been resisting investigating this further because I've had so many 'time sucking' bad experiences with audio gear purchases not living up to their promise, that it becomes tiring thinking of doing it all again. Especially when I'm now finally getting into a productive work groove again.

Not only that, but the reality of the extra time It takes to "burn speakers in" and get your ears accustomed to them.

But, from what I'm reading here, it sounds like I'm going to have to go through the whole process again. The s**t-fight of being bounced back and forward between manufacturer and retailer while they each cycle through passing the buck as best they can. Most likely making me jump through 20 hoops, that I start to entertain the idea of whether I should just suck up the loss, and buy the damn product again! We all know that every retailer treats warranty returns as a pain in their a**, and always passes the ailing customer off as "the problem".

Oh well, let the nest time sucking purchase dance begin. Why not hey, Like everyone, I've got another free 1,000 hrs I can afford to waste on non-delivering gear this year!

What has everyone else done to date? Return them, or suffer through, taking a chance they won't fail down the track?.. Southsidemusic, any further thoughts/advice?..
Old 05-22-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwherry View Post
I figure there are some A7X owners on here... Have any of you heard noises like this coming from yours? Any thoughts?
Thanks, Brian
Well, this is interesting. I posted a reply on here 24 hrs ago, and it hasn't been graced with DUC posting worthiness yet. Maybe next week.
If you read this Brian, I have posted a comment on your Youtube video re: A7X issues. Cheers.

EDIT: So why did this post make it online but my previous one said "needs to be moderator approved"??

Last edited by Shedhouse Studio; 05-22-2018 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Confused by moderation control clause on previous post.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:22 AM

FWIW, My Adam A5X/Sub8 system is dead quiet and sounds great

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave