Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2009, 12:04 AM

Default Simple-ish but Cool Trick (pro tools and logic)

how to use pro tools LE as a 'real time' (ish) effects processor

what I have:
mbox2 (pro tools LE 8) and an apogee ensemble (logic pro 8)

what I did:
sent audio out from logic into pro tools and then back into logic. (not as renders but in real time)

why:
i like the air spring reverb plugin a lot and wanted to use it as an effects send for a track I was mixing in logic, but I didn't to go through the hassle of bouncing and rendering and re-importing tracks and whatnot.

here's the how to:

within logic pro --> aux channel with spdif as the outputs.
into pro tools LE aux channel with AIR reverb effect. out of that into analog inputs 7-8 on my ensemble
back into new stereo audio channel in logic with inputs analog 7-8.

press record and you will print your reverb or whatever p-tools only effect directly into logic as audio without having to do multiple renders between programs.

problems: as one would expect, delay issues using p-tools LE as a 'real time' effects unit, but I believe the delay is constant based on what plugin you are using and what audio buffer you have set in logic. sooooo, slide it over the specified amount of samples once you're done and tada! now you can use those program specific plugins back and forth between both programs. :)

this small revelation made my day, hopefully it helps you out to!
cheers and happy mixing,

-The Setup (Stephan Wunderlich)
Old 09-15-2009, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Simple-ish but Cool Trick (pro tools and logic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSetup View Post
how to use pro tools LE as a 'real time' (ish) effects processor

what I have:
mbox2 (pro tools LE 8) and an apogee ensemble (logic pro 8)

what I did:
sent audio out from logic into pro tools and then back into logic. (not as renders but in real time)

why:
i like the air spring reverb plugin a lot and wanted to use it as an effects send for a track I was mixing in logic, but I didn't to go through the hassle of bouncing and rendering and re-importing tracks and whatnot.

here's the how to:

within logic pro --> aux channel with spdif as the outputs.
into pro tools LE aux channel with AIR reverb effect. out of that into analog inputs 7-8 on my ensemble
back into new stereo audio channel in logic with inputs analog 7-8.

press record and you will print your reverb or whatever p-tools only effect directly into logic as audio without having to do multiple renders between programs.

problems: as one would expect, delay issues using p-tools LE as a 'real time' effects unit, but I believe the delay is constant based on what plugin you are using and what audio buffer you have set in logic. sooooo, slide it over the specified amount of samples once you're done and tada! now you can use those program specific plugins back and forth between both programs. :)

this small revelation made my day, hopefully it helps you out to!
cheers and happy mixing,

-The Setup (Stephan Wunderlich)
Add an IAC bus and maybe you have PT VI's playable from Logic MIDI tracks, too...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Simple-ish but Cool Trick (pro tools and logic)

oh man! this is just getting too crazy to be real haha.

(also if someone is wondering what the IAC bus thing has to do with, click here)