Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-16-2016, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.5 preview

I hope this is going to work in a peer-to-peer mode as well in the future. Doesn't make sense to route large stem files to the internet and back into the same building in a different room through a bottle-neck when working in a facility where everyone is on a fast isolated VLAN.

Also: many post-people are not allowed to connect their DAWs to the internet so being able to use this function over a closed intra-net would not only be much faster (Gigabit speed) and also give us post-people an option to actually use it when working with a team on the same intranet.

And a white-paper about how exactly these files are protected (end-to-end-encryption or just encrypted in transit. Where are the keys stored etc.) will be essential to gain trust with our clients.

F.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:09 AM

I have a serious, legitimate concern regarding all this cloud collaboration thing. What will be the ramifications of having multiple copies of multitracks being sent all over the place for any young assistant (and believe me, I was one, so I know the temptation) to pilfer? Would Bowie really have managed to keep The Next Day under wraps if his multis were flying around goodness knows where? Maybe it doesn't matter for the likes of most users, but I can't imagine the A-listers (or B- or C- for that matter) being comfortable with this concept. Who's going to want mixes of half-finished tracks suddenly surfacing on the net?
Old 03-16-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I have a serious, legitimate concern regarding all this cloud collaboration thing. What will be the ramifications of having multiple copies of multitracks being sent all over the place for any young assistant (and believe me, I was one, so I know the temptation) to pilfer? Would Bowie really have managed to keep The Next Day under wraps if his multis were flying around goodness knows where? Maybe it doesn't matter for the likes of most users, but I can't imagine the A-listers (or B- or C- for that matter) being comfortable with this concept. Who's going to want mixes of half-finished tracks suddenly surfacing on the net?
Simple, don't use it.

PT differentiates between online "projects" and local sessions.

Regardless, your scenario implies a breakdown somewhere... login info leaked/shared, or some sort of hacking, al of which is possible I suppose.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Simple, don't use it.
I'm sure the R&D department will love to hear this.

But yes, I probably won't.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
Can we just focus on making what already exists work?
+++ on this...... I missed the webnar. Has there been any indication at all that 12.5 will provide the fixed Core Audio HD drivers for Mac OS Yosemite and El Cap ? You know with the novel (and apparently long lost) idea, that Avid's HD software will actually work with Avid's HD hardware to play 3 party audio thru the Avid system. Which it did of course until 2 years ago come July

And don't I recall, having total system integration under one brand, so things would work, was arguably the MAJOR selling point for ponying up the money for an all Digi PT system in the first damn freaking place

Ok rant over, but dang AVID I mean seriously, doesn't this embarrass anybody at Avid ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-16-2016, 07:05 AM

There was no talk about fixing what was broken, because that wasn't the point of the webinar. Someone did ask that on the side bar, and it appeared that they're working on the mentioned fix as well as compatibility for Windows 10 in the next release.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 03-16-2016, 07:09 AM

Noise blasts in sync! Exciting.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:33 AM

Ha yes indeed. Everyone can enjoy simultaneous bangs!!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:55 AM

Someone also asked about Video Engine fixes and they said there WERE improvements made, but you'd have to wait for the release doc to see what was "Fixed".

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 03-16-2016, 10:33 AM

I was disappointed to learn that the HD Core Audio not appearing in Apple Sound Prefs in El Capitan won't be fixed in the 12.5 release but a later release. Having sound drivers work is an imperative that should be addressed sooner than later. I'm so close to downgrading to Yosemite at this point, shame on me for thinking upgrading was a good idea. I just assumed Avid would be on the ball with supporting the latest OS like 99% of other companies are. Need proof? Studio One 3.x by Presonus.

And while I can't really lay fault with Avid for the Livestream not working for their webinar yesterday, this isn't exactly a confidence builder for me. As far as the scattered bits of presentation I did see, it felt jumbled. Perhaps best was Tom Graham's feature walk-through. I could've done without Tim Carroll and Tony Cariddi going on with: "hey guys you should get into this so you can hook up with real pros from Los Angeles!" Whether the tool works or not, it will fail unless you can build a community of real users. Having said that, I'm looking forward to attempting to do a collaboration session. Time will tell.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD