Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2008, 05:46 AM

Default Sync two computers with one interface(Digi002)

I have a Mac G5, and a MBP. Currently I have a Digi002 hooked up to my G5, and i do all my recording/sequencing on her. I just bought the BFD2 plugin, and noticed that uses a lot of system resources, and that isn't good(no need to explain). My question was if i could possibly install BFD2 on my MBP, and use that computer as a "sound module", and what would be the best way to do it. I would prefer to keep the signal digital between the two computers, but if anyone has a better suggestion, i am all ears.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Sync two computers with one interface(Digi002)

If I understand, you want to plug both computer on only one Digi Unit ?
If Yes, sorry I'm afraid it's not possible.Cause as soon as one session is gonna be opened you'll be prompt : The Hardware is already used by another ressource.
The only other way is to have another unit, setting one PT in Slave and the other one in Master connected via MIDI Protocol.Once this done, using the optical to transfert up to 8 tracks to the master unit, controlled in with some Aux Tracks.
The last thing you can do is to PRINT your tracks (the old internal buss routing), keeping thereafter your MIDI BFD Tracks Inactive (just in case you need'em for some changes which involve to re-print the tracks...)I know it's a pain in the arse but still.
Just a question which SR do you work at?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 AM

Awesome, thanks. Any recommendation on an interface that could get the job done without breaking the bank? Would it be possible to sync the two systems through optical, without the need to use midi? If I just get an interface with optical in/out would that be sufficient? I don't necessarily need more than 2 channels, because I can mix all my synths on the MBP and run them out to a single aux on the G5... Or what if i got an Mbox 2 and connected via s/pdif? Any other interface that would be cheaper, and that would get the job done? I need to know my options. Haha, Thanks for any help you could give me on that.

I am currently unemployed as an engineer, but I am doing a few side projects to keep the cash flow going. I guess that's what happens when you work on a contract only basis. Haha.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 AM

if i understand u correctly u want to dump the bfd on to another machine, and control it by way of midi from machine #1 like a virtual instrument.
i can tell u i do something similar. i create a new session on my old g4 (dual 1.5-1.5megs ram) connected to my mbox, and load up vi and assign them midi numbers. then on my new intel quad-core 3Ghz connected to a 003 rack, i open my session and send the midi info to machine 1. i come out of the mbox, and into the 003 rack and record the info. the only cavet is i have experienced some midi latency-i fooled around with both machines H/W buffer size and arrived at something useful. perhaps someone here with more experience can shed some light on the latency issue.
btw: this should also work for reverb, or delay if u have the input/output capability.

************************************************** *********************************
2x3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon-5gigs ram-003 rack-chandler emi TG2-maudio bx5a-Pt Le 7.4.2
Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 AM

The MIDI is necessary for transport control ("play" on one plays both systems). The optical sync just gets your digital clocks working together.

Figured I'd mention.. Do you have BFD's samples on their own FW disk (nothing else but BFD)? That made a huge difference on my system. I just have the LE version that came with my rig, but I think the situation is the same for BFD2. Another poster (Rail) told me once that each drum hit is the equivalent of playing back 11 tracks of audio, in terms of disk bandwidth. I think the CPU cycles required is pretty high, too, so your G5 might not be cutting it, but if you haven't tried this it may simplify your needs..
Old 06-19-2008, 12:04 PM

Considering the power difference I would just move to using the MacBook Pro as my computer, sell the G5 and use that money to add something useful.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Thank you so much for all of your replys. I think I have it figured out... I am going to transfer all of my BFD samples onto a littl 250gb firewire drive that I have, and plug that guy into my MPB with BFD2 installed on it. From there I need to get an interface that will both do midi in/out, and optical out. I can use the BFD2 stanadalone program , and set it up as a VI for my G5 that will be doing the majority of the session processing, and route my audio back into the digi002 via optical. Stays digital, doesn't lose quality, and I don't have to worry about transport controls. Just trigger it from the G5. Any suggestions on a relatively cheap interface that get's the job done? I guess i don't have to use optical, it could just be s/pdif right?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 PM

Couple things... You can try to get your g5 working better right now without spending any extra money by putting the BFD samples on your fw drive. You also don't say anywhere if you are using a second drive as your recording drive. That's another relatively cheap bump up in performance that Digi insists on for their support anyway... You're gonna need both external drives if you use the MBP for protools anyway. Don't record to the system drive...

For about $150-$200 you can get a USB interface with MIDI and spdif. For about $450 you can get an M-Box 2 which gives you the same plus ProTools so you could have an entire second DAW. Might be useful in some other situations that way. $500 and up will get you a firewire interface with MIDI, 2 ch spdif, and 8 ch ADAT optical support.

spdif will allow 2 digital channels with ADAT allowing 8. I don't know if the standalone BFD will stream 8 ch, but if it does then you might benefit from having the drums broken up into multiple tracks when mixing down.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:24 AM

Ok... I guess I should explain a little better my current setup. Right now I have a G5 running Protools 7.4/Digi002. I use a 750Gb firewire 800 drive for ALL my audio(recording, samples, BFD, itunes music) I have an internal 400GB I am using for miscellaneous storage, and an external 250GB that's maxed out with backups. I also have a 400 GB USB2 drive that i got for christmas, that still hasn't come out of the box... My system drive(160gb) I reserve for applications, i wish it were scsi, but the world isn't perfect yet.

Basically, I was using this computer(G5) for everything(work, school, play), but now I want to dedicate it to strictly recording, cause now I have a MBP that has a little more utility... A little about the MBP: 15", dual core 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, 360GB HD.

Now for the NEW setup... correct me if I can do it better!!

Dedicate the G5 strictly for recording by recording my sessions to the 750GB External Firewire800 so my session data can be portable, use the extra 400GB Internal for session backup.
Put BFD samples on the 250GB Firewire drive (can i put my Reason refills here too, or will it hurt my performance?)
Itunes music on MPB system drive(ALT SRC TO MON!!)
400GB USB2 drive for data backup...

If this is sufficient, then i wont need any additional hardware, if not, i'll need to start saving up for another interface so i can connect the 2 computers via midi, and audio (be it analog, ADAT, or s/pdif... ADAT being the preference right?)

Please critique my thoughts, and tell me what you would do if you were in a similar situation. This studio isn't my main money maker, but it is definitely nice to work in an environment that "just works".
Old 06-20-2008, 02:32 AM

Yep I think you have a plan. From what I have read on this forum and on the BFD site, BFD only for its drive. If the Reason refills don't stream from disk, but are loaded into memory, it might be OK, but it seems like you have enough disk options that you should be able to avoid it.

Another option occurred to me... the MBP has an optical out? Then all you would need to do to get BFD on that machine is a MIDI interface, $50.. It would allow you stereo only, via spdif optical I'm pretty sure. To get even a little crazier, Audio MIDI Setup has a mysterious Network option... Skip the MIDI interface and use an etherNet cable for MIDI between 2 Macs? I have no experience with this so it might be just a pipe dream. If I had another Mac I'd try it out and let you know LOL

If 2 systems becomes your choice, then the necessity of ADAT is only if you think the ability to have 8 ch of drums into PT is worth it. If you can make your stereo mix from BFD acceptable, then you should be good to go with just a spdif or analog, whatever... I usually only have 1 inst track with BFD, but that's been enough for my needs.. I think for maximum flexibility I'd get an Mbox2 or Pro to have 2 independent systems. You never know when that might come in handy, and with a tower and a laptop you have portability, too... Maybe overkill? YMMV