Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2004, 01:42 PM

Default How To Get That Fender Reverb Sound

Hey,

I'm producing a group that like their guitars all wet and syrupy. They have Fender amps, but I've got them sold on using my Vox AC30. It just has a more focused sharp tone then their newer Deluxe. I don't want them to be disappointed though if I can't find some way to emulate the reverb they are so into.

Any tips using pluggins to acheive this? The Fender reverb tends to be much darker and saturated then D-verb or Lexi-verb, though there must be some way to mess it up and get something close.

thanks

gary mula
UAD Apollo 8p / Octo
Old 06-30-2004, 02:39 AM

Default Re: How To Get That Fender Reverb Sound

take an altiverb impulse response of their amp's spring - its only a snapshot of the springs movement of course, but you can get some good results!!! Experiment with different mic choices to get a few spring tones!
Old 06-30-2004, 04:36 AM

try to get your hands on a real spring reverb and put it before the amp. I think Demeter amplification, AKG and Fender have all made them. I don't think the band will really go for anything but the real deal.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:09 AM

Amp Farm? Don't know if you can get just the reverb without any other amp simulation, though.

That being said, I would add that the amp is as much a part of the player's sound as the guitar (as I'm sure an AC30 owner would know...). If the group wants a Fender sound, use a Fender! The Vox AC30 is a great amp, but if you've got them "sold on" using the AC30 and don't want them to be "disappointed", you're setting yourself up for a possible conflict if you aren't getting the sound they are used to. Let them use their own rig.

Or here's another idea: Take a feed from the guitar and run it into the Fender as well. Then take the reverb return cable from the tank and "Y" a feed off of that to record onto another channel. That might give you the real deal to mix into the Vox track and still have control over it. You might have to use a power soak to cut the speaker level from the Fender, but it might be worth a try.

rcm
Old 06-30-2004, 10:43 AM

I agree with everyone else that you should try and get the sound at the source.. That said, ReVibe has a nice spring 'verb.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-30-2004, 11:50 AM

I thought of tapping into the line out of the Fender reverb tank, but on quik examination it appeared that the line going into the amp head was hard wired. I have an older Orban 111B spring reverb. It just didn't have the heavy sound we needed. I'm totally into letting the artist direct their own sound, which is why I'm going to this length. We've already done a fair amount of tracking with both amps, and it's clear which is the superior..not because I say so. As a guitar player myself, I know how subjective our tastes of amps are. On playback the AC30 is perfectly matched to their sound. We do need variety, so the Fender is getting it's place on the record. Last night we ended up splitting the guitar signal to both amps isolated, with the Fender set to a very high reverb level, recorded with a room mic. I'm going to try to soft gate the attack of the Fender and experiment with mixing levels and panning to find some happy combination.

What is altiverb? That sounds interesting.

thanks
UAD Apollo 8p / Octo
Old 06-30-2004, 02:02 PM

www.audioease.com

its a sampling, convolution based reverb!!!!!

really great for jobs like yours and all your internal reverb needs.

CPU hog tho!
Old 07-03-2004, 03:22 AM

I never got a good result in faking a spring reverb... except using the real thing
thats a good one: the vermona retroverb

http://www.hdbaudio.de/

I would let them play the fender amps, there is much more going on than just adding the springreverb in the mix to get this wet sound. its a different feel to play with the reverb than playing clean.

if I would play a vox I would use a fender or vermona springreverb while tracking the guitar

just my 2 eurocents... (after producing some surf and garage records)

best regards, ringo.fire
Old 07-03-2004, 10:03 AM

Like c-tone said, it is all about having the verb in front of the Amp, then as the guitar fades and the distortion compression let's up the verb swells. This gives that surf sound that is dry on the loud plucks, with the verb in the holes. I have made some interesting guitar sounds with verb in front of SansAmp and AmpFarm that sounded great, but the spring reverb is a very unique beast and if they are looking for authentic, then probably best to use authentic.