Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:27 PM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
Can anyone that has bought PT11HD from CPTK please confirm it works with non HD hardware? (e.g. with an MBox Pro).
This has already been flogged to death here, it is just a poorly written footnote.

There is only one Pro Tools binary, that binary with HD or standard iLok licenses fully support CoreAudio and ASIO interfaces (well fully up to the 32 x 32 IO limits that Avid imposes on those non-HD/Digilink interfaces).
Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I'm seeing this at the bottom in the Avid Store for the PT10+CPTK to PT11HD upgrade:

Can anyone that has bought PT11HD from CPTK please confirm it works with non HD hardware? (e.g. with an MBox Pro).

Thanks in advance!
I've used PT10HD and PT11HD with RME UFX, Mbox pro, Mbox2, Mbox micro, Digi 003R, Digi 003 console.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
This has already been flogged to death here, it is just a poorly written footnote.

There is only one Pro Tools binary, that binary with HD or standard iLok licenses fully support CoreAudio and ASIO interfaces (well fully up to the 32 x 32 IO limits that Avid imposes on those non-HD/Digilink interfaces).
Thanks Darryl. And sorry for asking about it again - that's kind of the problem with threads that grow to more than a thousand posts. I just noticed that and felt compelled to ask.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Pro Tools Ultimate (perpetual with active updates/support plan)
RME Fireface 802, Focusrite Clarett+ Octopre, Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Monitors: Yamaha MSP7 and Yamaha HS8S
Asus RoG Maximus Hero Z790 (in a 4U slidable rack mount! )
Intel Core i9-13900k 5.4 Ghz (16 cores / 32 threads)
128 GB RAM G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (4 modules 32GB each)
Boot disk: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Video: PNY/Nvidia RTX 3080 TI with a single 4K display Dell U3223QE 32''
Old 11-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks Darryl. And sorry for asking about it again - that's kind of the problem with threads that grow to more than a thousand posts. I just noticed that and felt compelled to ask.
Even works fine with a £79 Asus PCIe 7.1 ASIO interface.

In fact it works better with that than an 002R...

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 11-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
There may also be a great number of Vanilla users, myself included, who would not mind the annual subscription. However, clarity on the subscription details are needed, mainly this:

I will add that 200 USD is about $17 a month. Even the most novice Vanilla enthusiast spends that on junk food in a week.

This subscription is potentially great for the entire PT customer base.
That is clarified - there are no re-entering of perpetual licenses support plan subscription that lapses - which your $200 amount suggests.

Let it lapse for a couple of years if you want.
Continue by subscription/rental or buy new full price license are your options.

But subscription/rental - how that works is not clear....which might be the alternative then compared to buying a new perpetual license. You can guess through looking at MC FAQ - but the amounts are not set yet.

Some estimates were made by Nigel recalculating MC prices to "vanilla" and said about $37 a month pure rental. And that would be a new license compared to your possibly lapsed perpetual you already have - since you can start off MC without any bought license at all - just go rental from start.

It's really unfair to any customer base to hold back on this info like Avid is doing right now. Not the style of a publicly listed company at all. One would expect professionalism all the way - and that is yet to be seen. Seems like shots in the dark what is noticed so far and really desperate measures.

And for HD hardware userbase you cannot let these people pay over and over again for buying this overpriced hardware just getting software updates. It should really include replacement units if breaking and stuff like that to let the $599 price model run. On site replacement and that kind of service contract should be included in that price - then it would start to make sense.

Did anybody even test if PT HD need the HD hardware with modern computers at all. It could be all obsolete with the new solutions that exist - and Vienna Ensemble Pro network solutions running on separate computer making PT just run audio basically - no plugins at all. You could run hundreds of tracks with no sweat. And you just add standard computers and can run it with any daw as well. Seems like more sain investments than digging deeper into dependence of Avid.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
I will add that 200 USD is about $17 a month. Even the most novice Vanilla enthusiast spends that on junk food in a week.
Hey! Don't be cuttin' in to mah junk food budget. I require a base minimum level of cheetoes and mountain dew and beef jerky to fuel me through those late night mixing sessions.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipL View Post
Did anybody even test if PT HD need the HD hardware with modern computers at all.
Protools HD has been able to run without the HD hardware since Protools 9 when Avid released Protools (vanilla and HD) from the bonds of being tied to Avid hardware to run. Protools HD will run with any ASIO or Core Audio device as the interface, even using just the computer's internal sound card as long as it has an ASIO or Core Audio driver.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-12-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I suspect they benefit a great deal more from no longer having many people on 10 and earlier because it's not the same program as 11.
I would certainly agree with that.

When I said "the same" it wasn't meant to mean "literally identical". But, I assume most are smart enough to understand that.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
If you want to go past PT 11, you will buy a service contract.
Yes, and people who want to go past 10 will purchase 11.

Except that they will pay less today because they held off.

Let's agree to disagree and time will tell.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipL View Post
That is clarified - there are no re-entering of perpetual licenses support plan subscription that lapses - which your $200 amount suggests.

Thank you. I will wait to see what the actually numbers are. Hopefully we will know before Black Friday when all my money magically disappears until after the New Year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Hey! Don't be cuttin' in to mah junk food budget. I require a base minimum level of cheetoes and mountain dew and beef jerky to fuel me through those late night mixing sessions.
: Add a few snack cakes and our diets are identical. Cutting back on the cheetoes alone would get me a HD license.
Closed Thread