Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-16-2012, 08:10 PM

Default AAX VEPro Unstable?

I was wondering if anyone else was finding the AAX version of VEPro 5 seems to cause instability?

Since I starting using it: I will add it to a project and get a "not enough Memory" error, R6025 runtime errors, and even BSOD.

I will be going back to RTAS, and hopefully the issues will go away, But I was just wondering if it was only me.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 PM

Default Re: AAX VEPro Unstable?

I noticed that the multiple outputs of the aax version weren't actually transmitting any audio, so I was just sticking to the rtas version for now. VSL seems to update VEP pretty often and fix these bugs pretty quickly.
OSX 10.7.5
Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 AM

I don't own PT 10 but I've been reading that a lot of folks have issues like this if they keep both the RTAS and AAX plugins in their respective plugin folders. See if you still have RTAS installed in the plugins folder. If so, remove it and see how it goes.

I'm anxious to make sure VEPro works in AAX well because all my sessions require it.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 PM

I tried dumping the RTAS versions from the PT RTAS plug in folder. I still had issues so on a problematic session I swapped back the RTAS version and it ran just fine.

I personally will hold off til the next release from VSL before I try AAX again.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:14 AM

Been a few updates to VEPro since this thread was started...

Any improvement to the AAX version?

Last time I tried it it seemed pretty flakey (but that was a few months back)

Anyone taken the plunge with it more recently?
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 AM

Well I've run it a lot, and it's been fine for the most part. I've had a few crashes on the computer running the server (not the one running PT) but the crash report clearly indicated Kontakt was responsible for those. I haven't had any issues with sessions not running Kontakt. I've used up to 8 audio outs with no issue. I haven't removed the RTAS version from the folder, and I've installed all the updates as they've come out. I don't seem to have the problem where the server refuses to connect any more either.

I'm running PTHD (TDM) 10.3.8 on a 2007 MacPro with a 2012 MacBookPro i7 as the slave machine, both running Lion latest version. I also sometimes run it internally - i.e. both PT and VEPro running on the MacPro. I mostly host LASS, Vienna Instruments and Ivory II in VEPro.

Does that help?
Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 AM

VEP is relatively stable for me, but does occassionally get weird. I'm using it mostly with kontakt, PLAY and lexicon pcm reverb. I have one slave pc running windows 7, and also use it on my main machine running 10.8.5 and PT 11.1.2.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the replies chaps...

I'm on 10.3.6 on OS 10.8.4... Been fairly stable using VEPro on the host machine, mostly with Kontakt, Vienna Dimension Brass, the odd Omnisphere, and a couple of NI synths... That's with VEPro RTAS.

If I try and instantiate VEPro AAX (latest version) I get a hard quit out of Protools 100% of the time. No spinning wheel of death, just instant quit.

It's obviously hard to narrow down issues with VEPro, as there are so many plugins involved, but presumably if it's been stable with the RTAS version then probably the server is not at fault here, it's the AAX plugin..?

I'm rubbish at reading crash logs (actually I should probably learn how to do that) so can't be more specific, but it's totally repeatable...

Just out of interest, was something improved or changed in the nature of AAX after 10.3.6? Just wondering if a newer version of PT might behave differently with VEPro AAX, as you guys are on newer versions.

As it stands I'm staying with the RTAS version till I get some downtime...
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 AM

Your system is running the plugin as AAX-32bit since you are on PT10. You could try updating to PT 10.3.8 to see if that improves things, but that still won't be an apples to apples comparison, since I'm running PT 11, which uses the AAX-64bit architecture. The AAX version of VEP is a dual purpose build, which will work as AAX-32 or AAX-64, but my guess is it's optimized for 64-bit use.

I dont think there's much (if any) advantage to running AAX-32 vs RTAS, but I haven't tested them either, I went from PT9 directly to PT11.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Thanks so much for your thoughts John.

I was perhaps coming from this from the wrong angle: I was thinking that as the AAX version seemed buggy (at least on my system) then I probably should wait until it was stable before making the move to PT11.

But you're probably right (and I think the fact that you and others are running it well reinforces this), that I'm not really doing the AAX version justice by running it on PT10.3.6.

As it stands I'll stick where I am at the moment until I finish this project, then probably move to PT11 then and see how I get on.

Really helpful info everyone. Thanks again.
UAD Quad PCIe