Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 AM

Default Neyrink LtRt plugin: container

Tried to contact Neyrink directly but to no avail, so wondered if anyone round here knows, how the limiter function behaves vs the DMU / MME container....?
If my gut feeling that it doesn't match at all is right, has anyone tried to emulate the MME / DMU container behaviour with a C4 or similar and wouldn't mind sharing the results...?

Cheers
M
Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Neyrink LtRt plugin: container

The DMU container is nothing more than a 5 band limiter.

I don't know how close it is, but it works well.

Why not take a DMU 2 track with the container, and do a 5.1 to 2 with the plugin and see what you get.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:12 AM

thanks for chiming in...
I haven't bought the plugin yet, as I wanted to find out first what the deal is with its limiter vs container...
From my experience the container is a bit more than a simple limiter, it starts acting subtly way below the need for hard limiting, that's why I wondered if anyone had a go at emulating it...
Old 08-11-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lululu View Post
thanks for chiming in...
I haven't bought the plugin yet, as I wanted to find out first what the deal is with its limiter vs container...
From my experience the container is a bit more than a simple limiter, it starts acting subtly way below the need for hard limiting, that's why I wondered if anyone had a go at emulating it...
According to one of the Dolby engineers I worked with from Skywalker, its a 5 band limiter.

80, 250, 800, 2k, 8k if I remember correctly. It was years ago, so something maybe off in the numbers.,

There is really no reason to have to emulate the container anyway. The container was mostly for optical 2 tracks for analog.
Everything is digital now. If I'm not going to a print, the container is set to 0.

Most people don't really need to use it anymore, and you might as well put an L2 with whatever your max peak is.

LEX
Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post

There is really no reason to have to emulate the container anyway. The container was mostly for optical 2 tracks for analog.
Everything is digital now. If I'm not going to a print, the container is set to 0.

LEX
do you mean you leave it at +6, which is the highest setting...? 0 does actually quite a lot in my experience...?
I know a few people over here who use it as a "gentle" multiband limiter for TV mixes of films...