How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 12-14-2018, 01:34 AM

Default Re: 2018.12 No new features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Avid's inclusion of Falcon is designed to increase our dependence upon the annual subscription. It is not an act of grace, it's an act of marketing.
This is why I didn't install it yet and I never will
Old 12-14-2018, 02:38 AM

At least it's now compatible with High Sierra latest version ...

Guys on a side note, for those who use High Sierra, did you get something called Security Update for High Sierra and installed it, It kinda made my imac slow .... any idea ?
macOS 14.3
Pro Tools 2024.3
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 12-14-2018, 02:48 AM

Default 2018.12 No new features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becharax View Post
At least it's now compatible with High Sierra latest version ...

Guys on a side note, for those who use High Sierra, did you get something called Security Update for High Sierra and installed it, It kinda made my imac slow .... any idea ?

Reset your PRAM and you might find it sorts it out.

Seen stuff like that happen in the past and a Parameter RAM reset solved it every single time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 12-14-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:38 AM

Hi guys,

I think Avid proved, that this whole ACA thing is complete nonsense.
There have been several features on the agenda for this year (track folders, more voices for HDN, better video engine integration...).
Nothing has happened. So why this useless show? Just to justify the support plan fees?

It's really bad behaviour.

Cheers
Maik
Old 12-14-2018, 05:11 AM

I read this thread from the beginning. I conclude :

1) 1/4 of the users here are happy with bug fixes and stability. They accept to pay for it, even reluctantly. I understand them half-way. They are perfect customers for Avid. Avid likes them a lot.

2) 3/4 of the users oppose or denounce the Avid policy, and especially its concrete results, very poor compared to the promises. These are negative customers for Avid. But Avid does not care. It does not change anything on the stock market. He can lose a lot at this level, especially small players. It does not change anything for Avid.

I like PT very much. I have Samplitude, Cubase, Reaper. I tried Studio One, and even Pyramix. I always come back to PT. So I endure ... but I yell a little anyway!

We know 4 things:

Pro Tools is extraordinary.
Pro tools will advance and advance like a turtle.
Avid's concerns are not ours.
Times have changed and we have to pay for a usage fee, much more than for developments.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 12-14-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
I think Avid proved, that this whole ACA thing is complete nonsense.
There have been several features on the agenda for this year (track folders, more voices for HDN, better video engine integration...).
Nothing has happened. So why this useless show? Just to justify the support plan fees?
I think they realised that they don't have enough trained staff to do these in the timeframe they stated. That's what the plugin bundle and now Falcon is about - they know they have to give users something for the money when they can't deliver the goods.

Thing is, Pro Tools has been pretty stable for me now for some time. It's far from perfect - I still desperately need the Field Recorder issue sorted where it matches stuff already in the project as well as stuff in the folder you've added (combined, I've lost entire weeks of my life because of that little "feature"), and I'm still getting stability issues with Kontakt in particular. But for most of the work I do, its a pretty solid workhorse.

Track Presets made me cut them quite a lot of slack. Not because it was finally here years after everyone else, but when it arrived it did it better than anyone else. That can only go so far.... you can't release 1 killer new feature every five years or something, but I'm happy to take a hit on the volume of new releases if they make them as well implemented as Track Presets was.

The internet - and forums - love polarising views, either "Pro Tools is evil and everyone is a sucker who pays for it" vs "you're all crybabies, stability is all anyone wants". For me the truth is in between.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-14-2018, 07:06 AM

I like the new ebb and flow of the software releases. I despised the old major release and forget cycles. We all know why it's possible. The company is public, and has to hit metrics that appeal/value. Avid works for them, not us. It's not a bitching thing. It's reality. Now Avid can make more consistent numbers, and that allows for more consistent everything else.

Quality has climbed, IMHO, quite a bit over the last two years. Go back and look at all the releases 2-7 years ago. There were lots of threads filled to the brim with folks complaining of software that was bug ridden and unreliable. Now we bitch about no new releases in 5 months.

Should we have to pay $$ every year? Nope. It's not a perfect world. I don't like it one bit. It still feels like extortion. But my every day music-making existence is better now than it was two years ago.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I think they realised that they don't have enough trained staff to do these in the timeframe they stated. That's what the plugin bundle and now Falcon is about - they know they have to give users something for the money when they can't deliver the goods.

Thing is, Pro Tools has been pretty stable for me now for some time. It's far from perfect - I still desperately need the Field Recorder issue sorted where it matches stuff already in the project as well as stuff in the folder you've added (combined, I've lost entire weeks of my life because of that little "feature"), and I'm still getting stability issues with Kontakt in particular. But for most of the work I do, its a pretty solid workhorse.

Track Presets made me cut them quite a lot of slack. Not because it was finally here years after everyone else, but when it arrived it did it better than anyone else. That can only go so far.... you can't release 1 killer new feature every five years or something, but I'm happy to take a hit on the volume of new releases if they make them as well implemented as Track Presets was.

The internet - and forums - love polarising views, either "Pro Tools is evil and everyone is a sucker who pays for it" vs "you're all crybabies, stability is all anyone wants". For me the truth is in between.

I think you are right. The new features are doing very well. The search for plugins is superb. Simple, but really useful. The track presets too. Additions of midi functions are insufficient, but perfectly integrated (or almost: there is incompatibility between the commands of transposition of octaves (under alt-3 on PC) and the manual transposition (Shift-arrow). Clip gains, all of this is perfectly successful.

But over three years, let's say, the price to pay is the price of an entire software, or not far away. That's the problem ... But hey, your position is correct.

I add in passing a midi function whose absence really hurts: playlists. No playlits in midi, and not possible to record in loops in a visualization of playlists (as in audio). It's painful.

• Etc.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
I like the new ebb and flow of the software releases. I despised the old major release and forget cycles. We all know why it's possible. The company is public, and has to hit metrics that appeal/value. Avid works for them, not us. It's not a bitching thing. It's reality. Now Avid can make more consistent numbers, and that allows for more consistent everything else.

Quality has climbed, IMHO, quite a bit over the last two years. Go back and look at all the releases 2-7 years ago. There were lots of threads filled to the brim with folks complaining of software that was bug ridden and unreliable. Now we bitch about no new releases in 5 months.

Should we have to pay $$ every year? Nope. It's not a perfect world. I don't like it one bit. It still feels like extortion. But my every day music-making existence is better now than it was two years ago.

All this is true.

• Etc.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:41 AM

Cutting through the weeds: when I look at the $2,000/year my company pays for the subscription, and assess that against the features and bug fixes we've received over the past few years, I honestly can't find value in this business model of Avid's.

It's well-known that 2018.10 was LESS stable than 2018.7, so that most people didn't update. It's well-known that very few NEW features have been introduced over the past couple of years. It's well-known, at least amongst our company, that ProTools is no more stable today than it was years ago, and in some cases less so.

So, back to the weeds, why are we spending all this money? Bug fixes? No, these are bugs Avid is responsible for in the first place. Features? No, there have been practically none of much use.

Looking at our situations with PT 3 years ago, compared to today, we essentially have exactly the same rigs, but our bank account is thousands of dollars smaller.

How some people can promote this is truly bewildering to me.