How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2018, 07:49 AM

Default Re: The Official PageTable Thread

Hey Jeff and co.

I'm having trouble with Exponential Audio's PhoenixVerb Surround.

We are running v2.0.9

I'm trying to build a custom fader map but I can only access the first page of parameters when I go into the Expand/Mapping mode.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:00 AM
Avid

Hey Matt. Which width format (2-6, 1-6 etc) are you using of this plug-in?

(message me if you want)

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-23-2018, 09:14 AM
Avid

Greetings,

Just a few thoughts about this for anyone viewing if you ever have the ear of 3rd party plug-in developers. These are my opinions after experimenting with several different plug-ins and parameter sets.

(A) Think about presenting the parameters in a logical manner, both on the channel view as well as on the expanded view. Try and anticipate what the most important parameters that operators will want to get to most efficiently. Place these parameters on the lowest horizontal row of the expand map and on the lowest encoders of the channel map.

(B) It is ok to have multiple pages on the expand map. Put the most important stuff on the first page followed with secondary stuff on the second. It is also ok to duplicate parameters on multiple pages if it makes sense contextually.

(C) Take advantage of the SEL toggle functionality of the maps. This allows operators to press a SEL switch adjacent to an encoder parameter to provide control for an associated parameter. If SEL is used I would strongly encourage developers to also make those toggled parameters accessible on the primary or alternate pages as well. Some users will enjoy the toggled state (which can also be toggled from expand faders) however some will want the flexibility of discrete mapping of these parameters.

(D) If parameters (for example EQ bands, early reflections) can be toggled on and off - make sure to implement the IN switch associated with the primary parameter on the encoder. Ex: Early Reflection Level on encoder, Early Reflections On/Off on IN switch.

(E) Follow a convention for common parameters. A good example of this is Mix or Wet/Dry. Personally I always like to find this on the bottom right encoder of the expand view. Regardless of what you choose, make it consistent for all plug-ins. With that said, consistency in general is essential when deciding on how to map a plug-in. Make it efficient, easy, uncluttered - with advanced stuff on an alternate page, flexible (allow discrete parameters and toggled SEL functionality as well) and smart.

Hope this is helpful when talking about pagetables.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Avid

Here's an example of the concepts described in the previous post implemented for Altiverb. Below is a screen grab from the AAX Plug-in Pagetable Editor Tool that developers can use to format their parameters.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-24-2018, 08:51 AM

The Dyn EQ is not showing up in the Dyn section due to the fact, that there is no way to map multiple bands to multiple pages. Mapping would let you end up with one or two bands, which is a bit odd. Even the EQ mapping is a compromise.

Best
Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcutz View Post
Hi Jeff, I was demoing the SONNOX OXFORD DYNAMIC EQ Plug-in today and notice that the DYN section of the eq did no shows up on DYN pressing. Eq does.

So I have cycle enable and pressing twice the EQ button normally cycles through Equality and the EQ section of the Sonnox. On DYN pressing the S6 just cycle between PRO COMP and FABFILTER DESSER.

The EQ section of Sonnox for me was nicely mapped, but booth IN button of Q and FREQ does the something changing the curve types. Pressing Ins button shows all the parameters on a per band-per page mode. But in my humble opinion in a not so much intuitive way.

Does you have any news on DynPeq mapping dev?

best
ricardo

ps: jamming around with plug-in cycle seems to slowdown myS6-PT interation... (PT 18.3, S6 18.3, OS X 10.12.6 Mac TrashCan 6 core)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:59 AM
Avid

Yes, exactly. Nils hit the nail on the head. Sorry, I never responded to this. Dedicated EQ (magenta) and DYN (green) are great for compressors, expanders, limiters and traditional EQ's, however not so good for more complex signal processors like dynamic EQ's.

Anything outside of the box of basic Dynamics or EQ needs to be invoked as an Insert (teal) in Parameters view. From here, it is rather straightforward to create your own custom map (on up to 2 pages) using Expand Faders.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ