Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2018, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Using stand alone VI's and virtually routing audio into PT?

Nexus Pro is a plugin from source elements.

You can route any software into protools or vice versa
Its like soundflower but you dont have to use aggregate devise.
The nexus sound driver is seen in the system panel. Just select in your external software (Skype, Internetbrowser, Instruments, this sounddevice.
On addition open a stero Aux in Plrotools an insert the nexus plugin.
The plugin grabs the sound now what the orher software plays.
No Latency. Just works.
Ther will be soon a better musltichannel version. So in the moment just stereo. But we use it nearly every day. You need the Pro version.

Ale
Old 02-05-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Nexus Pro is a plugin from source elements.

You can route any software into protools or vice versa
Its like soundflower but you dont have to use aggregate devise.
The nexus sound driver is seen in the system panel. Just select in your external software (Skype, Internetbrowser, Instruments, this sounddevice.
On addition open a stero Aux in Plrotools an insert the nexus plugin.
The plugin grabs the sound now what the orher software plays.
No Latency. Just works.
Ther will be soon a better musltichannel version. So in the moment just stereo. But we use it nearly every day. You need the Pro version.

Ale
Ahh, i remember it now, they asked me to beta test but i was far too ill at the time. Wow that was at least a couple years ago now.

I'll check it out.. Multichannel would basically make it a real contender.

ok, there is only stereo right, but i can still record the vsti stems as audio into PT?

Also, i can use vst or au fx in the nexus itself? This would make the need for multichannel less crucial.

Have you used vienna ensemble at all? which do you prefer if so?

Cheers and thanks
Old 02-05-2018, 04:18 PM

Ahh, i was confusing nexus with another company's product..

i have checked out nexus, and it's a plugin that connects to an audio driver.. gotcha.

That seems the ideal solution.. and i started thinking.. I hope someone else sees this and competes with it..

because..

$295 USD is absolutely ridiculous for something that is not even multi channel yet.

Secondly, the free one is of course useless as there is no aax version.

But the basic one for $125 i can almost swallow.. however this is what it misses out on:

Use any CoreAudio driver for input and output
Dual drivers for audio separation
Up to 24-channels
Support for Source-Connect Pro X (Surround)

In bold is the big one.. if you can only use one instance in basic, you are basically limited to one kontakt and see you later.

Basic is useful in one case only.. Using a standalone mini host like patchwork to host vsti's, and then send it to nexus.

Where it is a very cool idea, is it totally gets around Pro Tool's one device limitation by being an aax plugin to receive the audio. I have to say, that's really clever.

Anyway, i'll be demoing basic all day and see how I go.

i just can't afford $300 right now for a single use thing, so hopefully the basic version combine with a mini host will do the trick. The stand alone minihost will have to be good enough in itself though, like allowing midi channel selection per instrument for example.

for those interested, the link to nexus is

https://source-elements.com/products...nexus/versions
Old 02-05-2018, 06:00 PM

Ok guys and gals, i have cancelled a move i had planned to stay home and test every stand alone VI host i can think of, from free to commercial.

I'll be testing whether they use multiple cores, their performance at 32 and 64 buffer (any higher is useless IMO), and how well they work with nexus.

From what I can tell, nexus is the solution (thank you member "Ale")

I have also written to the company that makes nexus to ask if they ever have sales and if they are definitely doing a multi channel version. Will respond here when i get an answer.

Reaper is the only mac daw i know of that can use VST and AU in rewire slave mode. I just found out that reason 9/10 don't allow it, so that idea is off the table. Ableton has never allowed it right from the start. I also noticed the standalone version of Bidule can use au AND vst in rewire slave mode. Bidule is a modular instrument and fx environment so i will add it to the tests also.

So.. i'll be testing

- Intone Instrument from audiffied (this one looks ideal, hope so!)

- Patchwork from Blue cat audio

- Chainer from PlugAndMix

- Freebie "hosting au" that can host 4 AU instruments with their own level control, from ju-x.com (Edit, first result is that it's unstable. Crash within 30 seconds, which is a shame, as it was almost perfect in layout and FREE.. i am trying to find out which effects and Vi's work *STABLY* in it and will report).

- Reaper as rewire slave

- Reason 10 demo but as an external instrument. I don't even know if it can be done, but i'll find out. Just as a stand alone vsti host basically. I know reason well as i used it for a few years but I never used it as a standalone host even before it had VST.. i know there is an external instrument rack to control hardware but i am not sure the other way around as i simply never needed it.. will know soon

- Live Professor by audiostrom. This is new and looks complex, but i'll try it. There is a nag free beta license to try.

- Element by Kushview.. this looks ideal and being updated, but has jumped from $29 to $99.

- Bidule from Plogue in standalone virtual output mode and rewire mode.

The above are the ones that are known to work on the newer MAC Oses with newer plugins. Some are vst some are au some are both (like dsp quattro, below).

and finally I will also try:
- RAX if i can find a download of it anywhere, darn, that seemed perfect.

Tested thus far:

- DSP Quattro - perfect performance at 32 and 64 samples, but absolutely only uses one core for all instruments, dev confirmed, says V5 will fix this but it never seems to come. Would have been ideal, as it's just so easy to use. Pick an instrument and midi channel and away you go, put any effects you want on any instrument. If you are using the multichannel nexus pro, it might be worth getting this as a second instrument host.If you are happy with one core, it's stable and cheap as a crossgrade.

- Minihost modular by Image Line. Was absolutely ideal, but hasn't been updated in 4 years this March on mac. Such a bummer they abandoned it. It crashes like crazy. This was the one to have, and was FREE believe it or not. Just tested the latest 1.5.7 on mac again, forget it for now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have so much on my plate with dsp tests and now this, so please be a little patient, as i still have my normal life to contend with and songs I have to finish. But i'll get it done.

If there is anything else you would like me to test, all you have to do is ask and i will add it to the list.

Also, i will test rogue amoeba loopback after nexus testing is done. I am considering also searching for a sierra working soundflower if i can find the app that allows soundflower to specific which devices it uses.It's called soundflowerbed and i need a sierra version.

Method of testing:

Standard midi track controlling stand alone host
Audio track with nexus plugin inserted. All one has to do is record arm track and then at the end, record it to audio if desired.
Note: After recording, depending on buffer, work out the permanent delay you will need to shift tracks. I mean some of you might not even care, I personally won't for pads and synths, but for drums, i will likely move them the 32 or 64 samples or whatever. I haven't tested the exact offset yet.

ok, see ya later

Last edited by TNM; 02-05-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
....Have you used vienna ensemble at all? ....
If you are considering Vienna Ensemble Pro 6, there’s a 30-day Trial here:
https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Soft...a_Ensemble_PRO

February’s 25% OFF all Software Products at VSL:
https://www.vsl.co.at/en/News

Best price I could find: login at AudioDeluxe
Vienna Ensemble Pro 4 or 5/Upgrade to Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 – US $78.30
Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 - US $211.50

“….you may also integrate all of your third-party 64-bit and 32-bit VST/AU instruments and effects plug-ins (such as Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Waves, you name it) and mix them in stereo and surround (up to 7.1), with full parameter automation ….
Some of the New Features:
Retina (HiDPI) graphics support on both Mac and PCs
New code base for about 70% less CPU usage for all internal Vienna Ensemble Pro calculations
Rewritten user interface code resulting in 80% less CPU usage for graphics”
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 02-05-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
If you are considering Vienna Ensemble Pro 6, there’s a 30-day Trial here:
https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Soft...a_Ensemble_PRO

February’s 25% OFF all Software Products at VSL:
https://www.vsl.co.at/en/News

Best price I could find: login at AudioDeluxe
Vienna Ensemble Pro 4 or 5/Upgrade to Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 – US $78.30
Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 - US $211.50

“….you may also integrate all of your third-party 64-bit and 32-bit VST/AU instruments and effects plug-ins (such as Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Waves, you name it) and mix them in stereo and surround (up to 7.1), with full parameter automation ….
Some of the New Features:
Retina (HiDPI) graphics support on both Mac and PCs
New code base for about 70% less CPU usage for all internal Vienna Ensemble Pro calculations
Rewritten user interface code resulting in 80% less CPU usage for graphics”
Thanks for the heads up.. right time for the saving too! Such a cool find, thank you.

I will be adding it to the demo list above, as i can see one can demo it with an elicenser dongle which i have.

PS is the epic orchestra included usable?

Cheers
Old 02-05-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
... PS is the epic orchestra included usable? ...
Never used it so far!
I've VEP 5 and the Update price hooked me.

https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/82/vienna-ensemble-pro/

"The included Epic Orchestra library takes up about 6.2GB on your hard drive and includes a greatest hits package of Vienna's larger libraries. The basic sections of strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion are provided with limited articulations. For example, the strings are presented as one patch ensemble mapped across the keyboard from basses to violins, with sustain, staccato, sforzato, tremolo and pizzicato articulations. Most of the other included instrument sections follow a similar format. A few bonuses are included which use Vienna's famed performance scripts like the Oboe d'amore (with legato performances) and the Cornet (with legato and portamento performances). The samples are recorded relatively dry, so depending on your project, you'll have to add your own reverb to put them in the right space. It's a very usable though limited set that works well for basic orchestrations, but for more detailed work you'll want a more full-featured library."
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 02-05-2018, 07:17 PM

ok i just installed nexus basic, did the mandatory restart, and now, PT is rescanning every single AAX plugin from scratch for the first time ever. Weird.

Furthermore, the developer of nexus got back to me and said that the latency may be too high for synths. I asked him, if i select 32 samples in my external synth or app and nexus as the output, how much latency does it add on top to reach the aax plugin in pro tools?

I will provide that info here when he has answered me. Very polite chap from source elements, his names is Robert, and he answered everything in the first email.

Cheers

PS has anyone else ever had a total random plugin re scan triggered, and what caused it for you? PT is still launching as i type this edit! Taking forever.

Edit, VE Pro has to be a manual demo request even though i registered my steinberg key with them, have no idea when i will get it. you can only auto download a demo if you own one of their products already.
very, very weird.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:29 PM

Ok, source elements nexus has caused massive problems over here..

I can no longer get into pro tools..

I literally was using pro tools just before i installed it and restarted. Only change was the install of nexus.

After scanning my plugins, it then starts telling me that some of my ilok plugins are not available, starting with soundtoys, then others, then nexus itself,

error is "resource temporarily unavailable"

after i press ok on all, pro tools crashes completely.

Just, *WOW*

This is even though ilok manager is working and the ilok light is on and pro tools itself starts up without any ilok warnings.

I now have to move all plugins to my unused folder and start adding them back.

Please do NOT install nexus (remember, this has nothing to do with refx nexus).

If i manager to get it working, I'll update. But right now i am very very upset.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Methinks he argues just to argue.

If that isn’t the pot calling the kettle black, I don’t know what is!

Hahahahaha! =P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk