Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 01:31 AM

Default Powered monitors and volume control

My setup is an MBox, G4 1.5 laptop, 512 RAM, d2 Lacie external drive and powered monitors (dynaudio b6A's). When all my tracking is done and I have only audio files to mix (no MIDI or Reason or whatever), is it OK to have my mix knob only halfway turned on? The problem is, if I turn it on full, the volume blows the roof off!

I've read Rail say in another thread that the mix knob MUST be turned full to 'playback' when mixing. This just isn't practical for me (or my neigbbourhood). What's the bad thing about having the mix knob not going the full distance? Any workarounds then? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Powered monitors and volume control

Dude,, the mix knob must ALWAYS be all the way to "Playback" (when your mixing) because if it is NOT, then you are only transferring half the signal, therefore a louder noise floor...

You are to put it all the way to playback, and then turn down the monitors via your amp, or your source selector....

You are NOT to have your main control room volume controlled by that knob on your MBox --

Hope This Helps--
Old 09-17-2004, 02:19 AM

Thanks, Infa. That was truly helpful. What this means is that I have to get a stereo amp into play between my MBox and the Dynaudio's. I was avoiding that amp in the chain till now, believing that it wasn't nice to get anything between those two things - just to ensure a clear and pristine signal path. Besides, does it make much sense putting an amp before POWERED monitors in any case? Guess, will have to live with this one...
Old 09-17-2004, 02:21 AM

don't your active monitors have a volume control?
Old 09-17-2004, 02:57 AM

Well if you do have powered monitors like the beautiful Dynaudios, I would NOT really get a Amp, (even though you could, but what you mention IS valid)- I would get a Pro Source Selector that has a volume knob on it. (thats what I run). Then you kill like 4 birds with one stone. You'll get the volume knob control you NEED. You'll get it in a CLEAN un-messed with signal way to the monitors. You'll also get to plug like 3 other source devices into it as well like your CD player, Dat, Computer sound output, TV, whatever you choose and have the switch back control to and from each one on the spot, ALONG with their volume controls. And the big bonus (if you get one with this feature) but some come with the "Talkback" feature so the headphones to the "Mic Booth" and the Control Room can talk between each other with out it being recorded, or effecting the recording track -- Basically 100% professional....

Here is a link to a company that makes some pretty damn good ones, with all the features I just spoke on: http://www.studio-tech.com/StudioComm.htm

But if that is too expensive for you,, you can find some cheaper ones out there...

Hope That Helps--
Old 09-17-2004, 03:01 AM

Yup, no volume control. That's the hitch...
Old 09-17-2004, 03:09 AM

Wow, Infa. That's a totally helpful and relevant solution. Really appreciate it. Will check it out right away. Here I come, you 4 birds...
Old 09-17-2004, 03:46 AM

Cheap way - Samson C-Control

Nice way - Mackie Big Knob

G5 iMac 20" 1.8GHz 1GB 160GB / Lacie FW80GB
OSX 10.3.5 / MBox / PTLE 6.7
Old 09-17-2004, 06:32 AM

Big Knob is definitely a nice option, and won't break the bank either. I've many people buying these lately as an alternative to using a mixer (for monitoring purposes), I'm thinking about doing the same. You do NOT want to put a power amp between your Mbox and powered monitors!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 07:05 AM

You could just simply add a Master Fader to the session and Lower the volume from there.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12